BYU golf: men's team in second, women in third at WCC Golf Championships
In a solid team effort, BYU shot a three-over 291-team score during the first round. The Cougars currently sit three strokes back of team leader No. 23 St. Mary’s (E) and six strokes ahead of Pepperdine (+9) and San Francisco (+9).
“I thought we played pretty consistent all around, we just had a couple stretches through the golf course where we had a bunch of bogeys,” BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “Other than our finish, I thought we played really solid. Parkinson played awesome. That 70 was really good. Zac Blairwas really tough all day.”
Parkinson had a solid opening round making birdie on holes 1, 6, 8 and 10, in addition to a stretch of eight straight pars. The freshman is currently in a three-way tie for first place at two-under-par with Ben Geyer of St. Mary’s and Scott Lowe of Santa Clara.
“My golf swing is really good right now and I’m hitting the ball solid, which really helped out today,” Parkinson said.
Blair followed Parkinson with a strong effort, carding an opening round of 71 (-1). Blair was consistent, finishing with three birdies and 13 pars to tie for fourth place, just one stroke behind first.
Sophomore Devon Purser contributed an opening round 74 (+2). Starting on the back nine Purser shot even par, followed by a two-over-par front nine to finish the day tied for 13th place.
Junior Jordan Hammer shot a first round 76 (+4) converting three birdies and eight pars to finish tied for 21st.
Despite going eight-over-par during his opening nine holes, Junior Justin Keiley had a strong finish going even-par through his final nine holes. He currently sits tied for 36th at eight-over-par.
“I’m excited about what will happen tomorrow and it’s nice to be in contention,” Brockbank said. “You can’t win it the first round, but you can sure lose it and the guys hung in there.”
Second round action begins Tuesday morning with tee times set to start at 8 a.m. PDT. Follow live stats at golfstat.com or visit the WCC Golf Championship Central Page at WCCsports.com for scoring updates and video recaps.
T1 Joe Parkinson 70, -2
T4 Zac Blair 71, -1
T13 Devon Purser 74, +2
T21 Jordan Hammer 76, +4
T36 Justin Keiley 80, +8
1 St. Mary's (CA), E
2 Brigham Young, +3
T3 Pepperdine, +9
T3 San Francisco, +9
T5 San Diego, +11
T5 Santa Clara, +11
7 Gonzaga, +15
8 Loyola Marymount, +17
BREMERTON, Wash. – Lea Garner shot a two-over 74 during day one of the West Coast Conference Golf Championships to lead BYU to a third place standing Monday.
Carding an opening round 308 (+20) team score, the Cougars currently sit 10 strokes behind second place Gonzaga (+10) and 15 strokes behind first place No. 24 Pepperdine (+5).
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Hollis column: How well will 'Big Five'...
- College football predictions: How will... 67
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 38
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30
- UCLA defensive end Kylie Fitts... 30