OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University will conclude a stretch of 13 consecutive games played in the Beehive State when it visits Utah State on Tuesday for a 4 p.m. contest at Johnson Field in Logan.
The game is the second of an in-state doubleheader for USU. The Aggies will face Utah at 1:30 p.m. in a makeup of a postponed contest on March 20.
UVU (24-15, 7-5 PCSC) enters Tuesday's meeting on a two-game losing streak, its first skid of any kind since suffering a six-game slide back in mid-February. The Wolverines dropped a 3-2 decision to BYU in the finale of a four-game, Pacific Coast Softball Conference series before falling 8-6 at the hands of Idaho State last Wednesday in Orem.
The midweek contest against ISU was the only game for the Wolverines last week as UVU had a bye from conference play and a home game against USU was postponed due to weather.
On the season, shortstop Krystin Jachim leads the PCSC with a .420 batting average and is tops on the team in RBIs with 27. From there, first baseman Amanda Robinson is batting .366 with 23 RBIs and a team-leading five home runs. Third baseman Debra Lovell and catcher Jazmyne Cortinas have each belted four homers, while second baseman Dynasty Lauvai ranks third on the team with 21 RBIs.
The Aggies (8-33, 2-10 WAC) have dropped their last five, including a three-game sweep at the hands of conference foe Seattle. Senior infielder Christine Thomsen leads USU at the plate with a .373 batting average in 78 at-bats. Hailey Froton, a sophomore outfielder, is next at .315, while sophomore Nicole Arata, batting .264, paces the squad in home runs with three.
Pitchers Mandy Harmon and Noelle Johnson have received the bulk of the starts for USU. Harmon owns a 2-20 record and a 4.73 ERA while Johnson is 3-11 with a 5.33 ERA.
In the all-time series, USU holds a 15-8 edge over UVU.
Following Tuesday's contest, the Wolverines escape to sunny California for a four-game set with PCSC rival San Diego. That series gets underway Friday.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25