The next nine months were like walking on egg shells. It was hard to get overly excited; it almost seemed too good to be true, and we didn't want to get our hopes up until the baby was safe and sound in our arms. We had experienced that heartbreak once before.
On Jan. 10, 2008, our little miracle man was born. Seeing his perfect little face made all the pain of the last four years wash away. I knew God had a bigger plan for us — a more perfect plan for us than we could have ever planned ourselves.
Those four years brought, along with the heartbreak, so many things. Looking back I would never have been able to change and may have never become who I am today without this trial. My husband and I learned to conquer trials together, learned that "we can do hard things." I learned to look at the trials of others with more empathy and to be more understanding.
I know I am a better mother today because of the things I went through. I pray every night to never forget those feelings of wanting to be a mother so badly, and that I may always remember the lessons infertility has taught me.
Ashley Stallings is a mother of two and a lifestyle and fashion blogger at www.flatstoflipflops.com. She is also co-founder of The Hudson Foundation,a non profit that helps couples struggling with infertility. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- LDS convert and influential friend reunite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 71
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 61
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 46
- How much did President Obama donate to... 44