Tom Smart, Deseret News
This is the third in a series of columns analyzing new faces involved in BYU football recruiting.
First of all, that title is new, hatched at BYU as NCAA legislation has evolved. The position splits up the duties of other staff members.
Generally speaking, recruiting coordinators have been full-time position coaches who performed daily duties with players but could recruit prospects on and off campus. Personnel directors sometimes take on some job duties alongside a director of football operations, a non-coaching job that tackles everything ranging from summer camps, recruit visits and hotel arrangements to team meals, transportation, pro days and travel per diem.
A recruiting coordinator manages everything from NCAA-mandated call logs and recruit travel plans to ever-increasing strategies with social media, texting, Internet communications/research, Twitter, Facebook and even Instagram. Regular recruiting coordinators at BYU in past years have been Joe Dupaix, who was preceded by Paul Tidwell, who took over for Mike Empey, who followed Chris Pella. All those guys coached on the field. Martzen will not.
At Utah, Kyle Whittingham uses various staffers to cover recruiting assignments, including his brother, personnel director Fred Whittingham, his assistant Pablo Cano, director of football operations Jeff Rudy and recruiting coordinator Morgan Scalley, a position coach.
Pending the outcome of current NCAA legislation, BYU has not named a full-time coach as a recruiting coordinator to replace Dupaix, who was not re-hired for 2013.
According to BYU, some of Martzen’s primary responsibilities include: identification of prospects, on-campus recruiting events (planning), social media for recruiting, and recruiting aids for coaches. He will also work alongside Patrick Hickman, BYU’s high school relations coordinator, who has similar recruiting responsibilities.
To present an idea of what goes into a recruiting coordinator's job description, this is a glimpse at some of the duties for that position at Morehead State in 2008:
• Establishes staff recruiting areas and responsibilities.
• Compiles recruiting list from coaches, service, etc.
• Completes all forms and letters in regards to visits, tickets, etc. with compliance/athletic staff.
• Tracks NCAA Clearinghouse list as it pertains to initial eligibility.
• Compiles and submits pass list for recruiting days.
• Processes proper paperwork for official visits (with) staff.
• Secures lodging for prospective student athletes on official visits.
• Maintains up-to-date records on all incoming freshmen.
• Keeps staff informed of school calendar, activities, events, recruiting calendar and period, test dates, etc. on monthly basis.
• Maintains recruiting phone call log and collects from staff.
Martzen brings to BYU his experience in recruiting operations with Nick Saban at Alabama and Chris Petersen at Boise State. He has also worked as a high school football coach.
Martzen says every school has its battles signing prospects just like BYU. It would be tough, however, to find recruiting challenges at Alabama other than SEC cutthroat warfare.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50