After having a private workout with the Philadephia Eagles on Friday, team doctors medically cleared NFL prospect Star Lotulelei.
"Our medical staff has checked out Star Lotulelei," said Eagles GM Howie Roseman in an press conference. "Star passed our tests, in terms of the heart condition, and he's been cleared."
The Eagles, who currently hold the fourth overall pick in the draft, planned to bring in at least 15 draft-eligible players for interviews and private workouts. Should Philadelphia decide not to use its first pick on a quarterback, Lotulelei's versatility would put him in the mix to be the Eagles' top choice.
The Eagles have not had a top-five pick since selecting Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick in 1999.
Roseman said that the strongest positions in this year's draft are the defensive and offensive line.
"You want to build along the lines in the NFL," Roseman said. "And you talk about the offensive linemen and defensive linemen in this year's draft — and it may not be the flashiest thing for your fan base, but it's exciting for your franchise to see that kind of talent on the board."
Lotulelei, who had been projected as a possible first overall pick in the NFL draft, was unexpectedly sent home from the NFL combine earlier this year after being diagnosed with a heart condition.
Since then, Lotulelei was examined and cleared by doctors in Salt Lake City, and had an impressive showing at Utah's pro day.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26