After having a private workout with the Philadephia Eagles on Friday, team doctors medically cleared NFL prospect Star Lotulelei.
"Our medical staff has checked out Star Lotulelei," said Eagles GM Howie Roseman in an press conference. "Star passed our tests, in terms of the heart condition, and he's been cleared."
The Eagles, who currently hold the fourth overall pick in the draft, planned to bring in at least 15 draft-eligible players for interviews and private workouts. Should Philadelphia decide not to use its first pick on a quarterback, Lotulelei's versatility would put him in the mix to be the Eagles' top choice.
The Eagles have not had a top-five pick since selecting Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick in 1999.
Roseman said that the strongest positions in this year's draft are the defensive and offensive line.
"You want to build along the lines in the NFL," Roseman said. "And you talk about the offensive linemen and defensive linemen in this year's draft — and it may not be the flashiest thing for your fan base, but it's exciting for your franchise to see that kind of talent on the board."
Lotulelei, who had been projected as a possible first overall pick in the NFL draft, was unexpectedly sent home from the NFL combine earlier this year after being diagnosed with a heart condition.
Since then, Lotulelei was examined and cleared by doctors in Salt Lake City, and had an impressive showing at Utah's pro day.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25