USU tennis: Aggies end home season with 4-3 win against UT Arlington
In the final home match of the season, the Utah State men’s tennis team came away with a 4-3 win against Western Athletic Conference rival UT Arlington on Sunday afternoon.
The team got off to a good start winning the doubles point. Senior Sven Poslusny and sophomore Matt Sweet defeated Soren Goritzka and Marek Pesika, 8-2, in the first position, while sophomore Marcus Fritz and junior Andrew Whiting took down Yauheni Yakauleu and Carlos Arbiza, 9-8, at the second position. Junior Fredrick Peterson and sophomore Curran Wearmouth fell to Sebastian Gomez and Javier Perez, 8-4, at the third position.
The afternoon took a dramatic turn in singles action as the final result came down to the third set of the No. 6 match. After losing the first set, Whiting defeated Gomez (1-6, 6-2, 6-3) to secure the win for the team. At the No. 1 spot, Poslusny beat Goritzka in straight sets (6-1, 6-1), while Peterson fell to Yakauleu (6-2, 6-2) in the No. 2 position. Sweet was defeated by Arbiza at the No. 3 spot in straight sets (6-3, 7-6), while Wearmouth fell to Pesicka in a tough three sets (6-7, 6-3, 6-3) at the No. 4 spot. At the No. 5 position, Fritz defeated Sebastion Erimicioui in a straight-set win (7-5, 6-2).
With the win, the Aggies head into their final road trip of the season with an overall record of 7-12 with a 2-3 league record. The team plays at Air Force on Thursday, April 18, before closing the regular season in a WAC match at Denver on Friday, April 19.
1. Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Soren Goritzka (UTA) 6-1, 6-1
2. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-3, 7-6
4. Marek Pesicka (UTA) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
5. Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) 7-5, 6-2
6. Andrew Whiting (USU) def. Sebastian Gomez (UTA) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) def. Goritzka/Pesicka (UTA) 8-2
2. Fritz/Whiting (USU) def. Yakauleu/Arbiza (UTA) 9-8
3. Gomez/Perez (UTA) def. Peterson/Wearmouth (USU) 8-4
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16