OAKLEY, Summit County — Police were investigating a murder-suicide in Summit County on Sunday.
Dispatchers received a call around 1:15 p.m. reporting two deceased persons at a residence near the 4000 block of state Route 32 in Oakley, Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds said. The call came in from a concerned family friend who found a man and woman in a garage outside of their car.
The deaths were initially described as "suspicious in nature," but were later classified as a murder-suicide. Edmunds said a handgun was found near the couple.
Each had suffered a single gunshot wound to the head. Edmunds said the pair was in a relationship but were not married.
Edmunds said they had also lived together at some point, but it is unclear if they were living together at the time of their deaths.
The names of those involved were not immediately released, but they were described as being in their 40s.
Police were not aware of any previous violence at the home, and there was no immediate indication of what prompted the incident.
"It's absolutely shocking," neighbor Ron Lenfield said. "If a meteor hit right there, it would be just as shocking as that."
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- The truth about addiction
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19