AMERICAN FORK — A 21-year-old father accused of shooting his 5-month-old son in the head with a rifle has been officially charged.
Joshua David Petersen was charged with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, in Provo's 4th District Court on Friday.
Prosecutors say Petersen had been planning to shoot his son, Ryker, for about a month, and went through with it April 5 when he placed the infant on a couch and shot him with a .22 caliber rifle.
Police believe Petersen was then about to shoot himself when a family member stopped him.
On April 8, a judge ordered Petersen held without bail at the Utah County Jail while charges were pending.
Petersen's next scheduled court hearing is Monday.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Two cyclists killed after Lehi accident
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 24
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 18