PROVO, Utah – For the second time this week, the BYU women’s tennis team earned a win at home, this time defeating Gonzaga, 4-3, on Saturday at the outdoor tennis courts.
With the win, the Cougars (9-9) improve to 2-4 in conference play while Gonzaga (9-9) falls to 0-6.
BYU started off strong by claiming the doubles point with wins on courts 1 and 2.
“We played well in doubles today, we focused and played our game really well,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “In singles, it was back and forth, I think some of the girls had a really great day today while some of them had a little bit of a hard time. But we battled hard and pulled out a win.”
The Cougars carried the momentum from doubles into singles as Meghan Sheehan-Dizon put away Katie Edwards 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 1 singles position. The match marked just the second time Sheehan-Dizon played No. 1 in singles this season.
Senior Aubrey Paul extended the advantage with a quick 6-2, 6-0 victory over Melanie Yates. Paul leads the team with 14 singles wins in 2013.
“I didn’t even have to coach her [Aubrey] very much,” Jones-Spencer said. “She was very focused, moved her feet very well and executed her game.”
On court 4, Nicolette Tran clinched the win for BYU as she topped Isabell Klingert in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
Gonzaga scored the last three points of the match but not until after the match was already determined.
BYU plays its final two matches of the season on Friday and Saturday against Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount at home.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Edwards/Peek (GU) 8-4
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Polayes/Yates (GU) 8-3
3. Koehler/Tallas (GU) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Katie Edwards (GU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kylie Peek (GU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. Samantha Polayes (GU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0(12)
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Isabell Klingert (GU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alexandra Tallas (GU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-4, 7-6
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Melanie Yates (GU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4, 5, 2, 3
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- BYU coaches haven't yet decided on Cougars'...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 80
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 30
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24