Darryl Dyck, AP
VANCOUVER, B.C. — Of all the opportunities Vancouver was seeking for a penalty, Nat Borchers losing his footing in the penalty box and accidentally handling the ball in the 84th minute was the straw that broke the camel's back.
In the ensuing penalty kick by Vancouver attacking midfielder Camilo Sanvezzo, Nick Rimando jumped right and Sanvezzo went left to draw what had been a very evenly played match level with virtually no time to spare.
Real Salt Lake took the lead in the second half off of a terrific goal by rookie Colombian international player Olmes Garcia. His tremendous 22-yard strike from just outside the left corner of the box in the 66th minute put the Salt Lake club in prime position to take three points away from a difficult venue with quality players.
Garcia's goal was the result of great attacking pressure and terrific ball placement. Both goalkeeper Rimando and defender Lovel Palmer sent the ball over the top to Garcia, and with the assistance of midfielder Ned Grabavoy, was able to retain possession deep in Whitecap territory. Quick combination play with RSL's Javier Morales put Garcia in open field with the opportunity for the goal, and he capitalized.
During this match, Vancouver attackers frequently hit the ground in the penalty area and immediately appealed to the referee for a foul call and a penalty kick, but it wasn't until Borchers' slip that referee Jeff Fischer was forced to make the call in favor of the home side.
This draw gives RSL a record of 2-3-2. The Utah club will look to make up real ground in the Western Conference standings with its next three games at home against Chivas USA, the L.A. Galaxy and the Vancouver Whitecaps in succession.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37