Salt Lake City police looking for suspect in early morning homicide
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are hoping a driver who nearly hit a pedestrian early Saturday will lead them to a murder suspect.
The body of Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was found about 1:15 a.m. outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road. Police believe he was shot.
"Right after the shooting, witnesses saw the suspect run eastbound across Redwood Road. He was almost hit by a car as he ran across the road. We'd like to talk to the driver of that vehicle, see what he remembers, what he knows," said Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino.
The only description of the suspect police had Saturday was a Polynesian man last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday.
Utah court records show Fakatoufifita had been found guilty on several alcohol-related misdemeanors in adult court since 2011.
Anyone with information on the crime can call police at 801-799-3000.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Q and A: The business of being Moab
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 17
- Second student sues district over... 14
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 10