Salt Lake City police looking for suspect in early morning homicide
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are hoping a driver who nearly hit a pedestrian early Saturday will lead them to a murder suspect.
The body of Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was found about 1:15 a.m. outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road. Police believe he was shot.
"Right after the shooting, witnesses saw the suspect run eastbound across Redwood Road. He was almost hit by a car as he ran across the road. We'd like to talk to the driver of that vehicle, see what he remembers, what he knows," said Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino.
The only description of the suspect police had Saturday was a Polynesian man last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday.
Utah court records show Fakatoufifita had been found guilty on several alcohol-related misdemeanors in adult court since 2011.
Anyone with information on the crime can call police at 801-799-3000.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 67
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 30
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 25
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13