Salt Lake City police looking for suspect in early morning homicide
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are hoping a driver who nearly hit a pedestrian early Saturday will lead them to a murder suspect.
The body of Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was found about 1:15 a.m. outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road. Police believe he was shot.
"Right after the shooting, witnesses saw the suspect run eastbound across Redwood Road. He was almost hit by a car as he ran across the road. We'd like to talk to the driver of that vehicle, see what he remembers, what he knows," said Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino.
The only description of the suspect police had Saturday was a Polynesian man last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday.
Utah court records show Fakatoufifita had been found guilty on several alcohol-related misdemeanors in adult court since 2011.
Anyone with information on the crime can call police at 801-799-3000.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13