Salt Lake City police looking for suspect in early morning homicide
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are hoping a driver who nearly hit a pedestrian early Saturday will lead them to a murder suspect.
The body of Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was found about 1:15 a.m. outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road. Police believe he was shot.
"Right after the shooting, witnesses saw the suspect run eastbound across Redwood Road. He was almost hit by a car as he ran across the road. We'd like to talk to the driver of that vehicle, see what he remembers, what he knows," said Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino.
The only description of the suspect police had Saturday was a Polynesian man last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday.
Utah court records show Fakatoufifita had been found guilty on several alcohol-related misdemeanors in adult court since 2011.
Anyone with information on the crime can call police at 801-799-3000.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 26
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19