Salt Lake City police looking for suspect in early morning homicide
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are hoping a driver who nearly hit a pedestrian early Saturday will lead them to a murder suspect.
The body of Sione Fakatoufifita, 19, of West Valley City, was found about 1:15 a.m. outside a Maverik convenience store, 1680 S. Redwood Road. Police believe he was shot.
"Right after the shooting, witnesses saw the suspect run eastbound across Redwood Road. He was almost hit by a car as he ran across the road. We'd like to talk to the driver of that vehicle, see what he remembers, what he knows," said Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino.
The only description of the suspect police had Saturday was a Polynesian man last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
A possible motive for the shooting was not known Saturday.
Utah court records show Fakatoufifita had been found guilty on several alcohol-related misdemeanors in adult court since 2011.
Anyone with information on the crime can call police at 801-799-3000.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17