USU tennis: men's team falls to New Mexico State on Saturday
A doubles win was not enough to propel the Utah State men’s tennis team as it lost to New Mexico State, 4-2, Saturday in a Western Athletic Conference match.
The Aggies started off strong with the doubles win. Senior Sven Poslusny and sophomore Matt Sweet fell to Luis Ramirez and March Westgate at the first position, 8-6, but junior Andrew Whiting and sophomore Marcus Fritz came out ahead against Germain Degardin and Yannick Blank, 8-4, at the second position. Junior Fredrick Peterson and sophomore Curran Wearmouth secured the point with an 8-6 win against Daniel Fernandez and Paul Denele at the third position.
In singles action, Poslusny put up a fight at the No. 1 position but eventually fell to Ramirez in three sets (2-6, 7-5, 6-2). Peterson was defeated by Fernandez in straight sets at No. 2 singles (6-1, 6-4), while Sweet earned the only individual win, taking down Westgate in three sets (6-3, 4-6, 6-2) at the No. 3 position. At the No. 4 position, Fritz was defeated by Degardin in straight sets (6-2, 6-0). Sophomore Tanner Dance was swept by Patrick Pfister at the No. 6 position (6-0, 6-0), securing the win for New Mexico State. Both teams then agreed to leave the No. 5 match between Wearmouth and Paul Denele unfinished.
With the loss, the Aggies fall to 6-12 overall and 1-3 in league play. The team will close out its home season Sunday morning as it hosts UT Arlington. Action from the Sports Academy and Racquet Club will get underway at 10 a.m.
New Mexico State 4, Utah State 2
1. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Curran Wearmouth (USU) vs. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Tanner Dance (USU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMSU) def. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) 8-6
2. Whiting/Fritz (USU) def. Degardin/ Blank (NMSU) 8-4
3. Peterson/Wearmouth (USU) def. Fernandez/Denele (NMSU) 8-6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks off...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Tournament central: 4A boys basketball live...
- High school boys basketball: Pleasant Grove...
- High school boys basketball: Orem shoots past...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 56
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- UteLinks: A look at Utah's RPI breakdown 52
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 46
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 42
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26