USU tennis: men's team falls to New Mexico State on Saturday
A doubles win was not enough to propel the Utah State men’s tennis team as it lost to New Mexico State, 4-2, Saturday in a Western Athletic Conference match.
The Aggies started off strong with the doubles win. Senior Sven Poslusny and sophomore Matt Sweet fell to Luis Ramirez and March Westgate at the first position, 8-6, but junior Andrew Whiting and sophomore Marcus Fritz came out ahead against Germain Degardin and Yannick Blank, 8-4, at the second position. Junior Fredrick Peterson and sophomore Curran Wearmouth secured the point with an 8-6 win against Daniel Fernandez and Paul Denele at the third position.
In singles action, Poslusny put up a fight at the No. 1 position but eventually fell to Ramirez in three sets (2-6, 7-5, 6-2). Peterson was defeated by Fernandez in straight sets at No. 2 singles (6-1, 6-4), while Sweet earned the only individual win, taking down Westgate in three sets (6-3, 4-6, 6-2) at the No. 3 position. At the No. 4 position, Fritz was defeated by Degardin in straight sets (6-2, 6-0). Sophomore Tanner Dance was swept by Patrick Pfister at the No. 6 position (6-0, 6-0), securing the win for New Mexico State. Both teams then agreed to leave the No. 5 match between Wearmouth and Paul Denele unfinished.
With the loss, the Aggies fall to 6-12 overall and 1-3 in league play. The team will close out its home season Sunday morning as it hosts UT Arlington. Action from the Sports Academy and Racquet Club will get underway at 10 a.m.
New Mexico State 4, Utah State 2
1. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Curran Wearmouth (USU) vs. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Tanner Dance (USU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMSU) def. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) 8-6
2. Whiting/Fritz (USU) def. Degardin/ Blank (NMSU) 8-4
3. Peterson/Wearmouth (USU) def. Fernandez/Denele (NMSU) 8-6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 32
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30