USU tennis: men's team falls to New Mexico State on Saturday
A doubles win was not enough to propel the Utah State men’s tennis team as it lost to New Mexico State, 4-2, Saturday in a Western Athletic Conference match.
The Aggies started off strong with the doubles win. Senior Sven Poslusny and sophomore Matt Sweet fell to Luis Ramirez and March Westgate at the first position, 8-6, but junior Andrew Whiting and sophomore Marcus Fritz came out ahead against Germain Degardin and Yannick Blank, 8-4, at the second position. Junior Fredrick Peterson and sophomore Curran Wearmouth secured the point with an 8-6 win against Daniel Fernandez and Paul Denele at the third position.
In singles action, Poslusny put up a fight at the No. 1 position but eventually fell to Ramirez in three sets (2-6, 7-5, 6-2). Peterson was defeated by Fernandez in straight sets at No. 2 singles (6-1, 6-4), while Sweet earned the only individual win, taking down Westgate in three sets (6-3, 4-6, 6-2) at the No. 3 position. At the No. 4 position, Fritz was defeated by Degardin in straight sets (6-2, 6-0). Sophomore Tanner Dance was swept by Patrick Pfister at the No. 6 position (6-0, 6-0), securing the win for New Mexico State. Both teams then agreed to leave the No. 5 match between Wearmouth and Paul Denele unfinished.
With the loss, the Aggies fall to 6-12 overall and 1-3 in league play. The team will close out its home season Sunday morning as it hosts UT Arlington. Action from the Sports Academy and Racquet Club will get underway at 10 a.m.
New Mexico State 4, Utah State 2
1. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Curran Wearmouth (USU) vs. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Tanner Dance (USU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMSU) def. Poslusny/Sweet (USU) 8-6
2. Whiting/Fritz (USU) def. Degardin/ Blank (NMSU) 8-4
3. Peterson/Wearmouth (USU) def. Fernandez/Denele (NMSU) 8-6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20