USU tennis: Women's team ends weekend with WAC loss to Denver
Utah State women’s tennis wrapped up a tough weekend with a 6-1 loss to Western Athletic Conference foe Denver in Las Cruces, N.M., on Saturday.
The Aggies put up a good fight in doubles competition, but Denver came out ahead each time. Sophomore McKenzie Davis and freshman Kallie Sperry fell to Sophia Bergner and Steffi Rath, 8-2, at the first doubles position, while senior Kristina Votsekhovich and sophomore Hillary Hays were defeated by Emma Isberg and Mandy van den Eerenbeemt, 9-7, in a tight match at the second doubles position. In the third doubles position, senior Julie Tukuafu and freshman Ashley Stuhlmann wrapped up doubles with an 8-5 loss to Caroline Schnell and Kathryn Hughes.
Davis suffered her first individual loss of the weekend at the No. 1 singles position, falling to Bergner in straight sets (6-4, 6-4). At the No. 2 spot, Voytsekhovich was defeated by Isberg in straight sets (6-2, 7-5). Tukuafu began playing at the No. 3 position but retired before the end of the first set. Sperry pushed the No. 4 match to three sets before falling to Hughes (4-6, 6-2, 10-1), while Hays was taken down by Rath in straight sets at the No. 5 position (6-2, 6-3). Stuhlmann earned the only Aggie win of the day with a three-set win over Charlotte Derbyshire at the No. 6 spot (7-5, 3-6, 11-9).
With the loss, the Aggies fall to 5-12 overall and 1-6 in league play. The team returns home next week to close out the regular season hosting Idaho on Saturday, April 20 at 10 a.m.
Denver 6, Utah State 1
1. Sophia Bergner (DU) def. McKenzie Davis (USU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Emma Isberg (DU) def. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DU) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 5-2, retired
4. Kathryn Hughes (DU) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-1
5. Steffi Rath (DU) def. Hillary Hays (USU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) def. Charlotte Derbyshire (DU) 7-5, 3-6, 11-9
1. Bergner/Rath (DU) def. Davis/Sperry (USU) 8-2
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DU) def. Voytsekhovich/Hays (USU) 9-7
3. Schnell/Hughes (DU) def. Tukuafu/Stuhlmann (USU) 8-5
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28