STOCKTON, Calif. — The No. 1 BYU men’s volleyball team swept Pacific on the road (25-21, 25-23, 25-19) Friday.
The Cougars, who have secured the regular season MPSF title and No. 1 seed in the MPSF tournament, improve to 21-4 overall and 20-3 in the MPSF. Pacific falls to 8-19 overall and 5-18 in MPSF play.
The Cougars out-blocked the Tigers 12.0–6.5.
The Cougars took a 2-0 lead in the first set, but the Tigers matched it and stayed on pace before taking a 5-4 advantage. Ben Patch and Michael Hatch posted a block to put the Cougars back on top, and Patch followed it up with a kill to extend the advantage to 10-8. After Pacific answered with back-to-back points of its own, the Cougars marched on with a balanced offensive attack for a 6-1 run and the 16-11 lead. BYU held a four-point cushion until it took a 24-19 lead, and the Tigers put up a pair of points to cut it to 24-21. Young finished off the set on the next point for BYU to go up 1-0 in the match.
The second set saw a back-and-forth battle. BYU took a 9-7 lead after a service ace from Ryan Boyce, but the Tigers quickly evened it back up. BYU finally broke the trend and went on a 3-0 run for a 14-11 lead, but the Tigers bounced back to even the set at 16-16. Tied at 19 apiece, Pacific fired off a pair of service aces to take a 21-19 lead. Sander sparked a 5-1 run to position BYU with set point at 24-22. With a kill from Phil Fuchs, the Cougars grabbed the set, 25-23.
Pacific jumped out early in the third set, 4-1, and held the lead until BYU flipped the score in its favor, 12-11, after two kills from Fuchs. Sander sparked a 6-0 BYU run to widen the gap to 19-13. The Cougars capitalized on Tiger errors during the run and a kill and ace from Fuchs. Pacific ended the run and created a 6-1 run of its own with straight kills to come within one, 20-19. A Sander kill turned the momentum back in BYU’s favor as the Cougars went back up 24-19. Ending the set on a 5-0 run, a Tiger error secured the match for BYU.
The Cougars wrap up their regular season Saturday night at No. 8 Stanford. The match is slated to start at 7 p.m. PDT and video streaming is available.
Whitney Weekes works in BYU Athletic Communications as the men's volleyball SID and football media relations assistant. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Having achieved its Final Four goal, the BYU...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 29