STOCKTON, Calif. — The No. 1 BYU men’s volleyball team swept Pacific on the road (25-21, 25-23, 25-19) Friday.
The Cougars, who have secured the regular season MPSF title and No. 1 seed in the MPSF tournament, improve to 21-4 overall and 20-3 in the MPSF. Pacific falls to 8-19 overall and 5-18 in MPSF play.
The Cougars out-blocked the Tigers 12.0–6.5.
The Cougars took a 2-0 lead in the first set, but the Tigers matched it and stayed on pace before taking a 5-4 advantage. Ben Patch and Michael Hatch posted a block to put the Cougars back on top, and Patch followed it up with a kill to extend the advantage to 10-8. After Pacific answered with back-to-back points of its own, the Cougars marched on with a balanced offensive attack for a 6-1 run and the 16-11 lead. BYU held a four-point cushion until it took a 24-19 lead, and the Tigers put up a pair of points to cut it to 24-21. Young finished off the set on the next point for BYU to go up 1-0 in the match.
The second set saw a back-and-forth battle. BYU took a 9-7 lead after a service ace from Ryan Boyce, but the Tigers quickly evened it back up. BYU finally broke the trend and went on a 3-0 run for a 14-11 lead, but the Tigers bounced back to even the set at 16-16. Tied at 19 apiece, Pacific fired off a pair of service aces to take a 21-19 lead. Sander sparked a 5-1 run to position BYU with set point at 24-22. With a kill from Phil Fuchs, the Cougars grabbed the set, 25-23.
Pacific jumped out early in the third set, 4-1, and held the lead until BYU flipped the score in its favor, 12-11, after two kills from Fuchs. Sander sparked a 6-0 BYU run to widen the gap to 19-13. The Cougars capitalized on Tiger errors during the run and a kill and ace from Fuchs. Pacific ended the run and created a 6-1 run of its own with straight kills to come within one, 20-19. A Sander kill turned the momentum back in BYU’s favor as the Cougars went back up 24-19. Ending the set on a 5-0 run, a Tiger error secured the match for BYU.
The Cougars wrap up their regular season Saturday night at No. 8 Stanford. The match is slated to start at 7 p.m. PDT and video streaming is available.
Whitney Weekes works in BYU Athletic Communications as the men's volleyball SID and football media relations assistant. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16