OGDEN — A former volunteer swim coach at Ben Lomond High School was sentenced to jail and probation Friday for having a sexual relationship with a student on the swim team.
Jamie Jo Waite, 37, was sentenced by 2nd District Judge Scott Hadley to four concurrent prison sentences of one to 15 years for four separate charges of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony, but the prison time was suspended. Instead, the judge ordered Waite to spend 210 days in jail and complete three years' probation.
He also ordered 60 hours of community service or a $603 fine, $500 in fees, completion of a "cognitive restructuring program" and any restitution to be determined within a year. The woman is also prohibited from having any contact with the victim or any other children under the age of 18.
Investigators say the victim was a 17-year-old male swimmer, a high school senior, who had a relationship with Waite from November 2010 until late February 2011. Waite was working as a coach when she and the student engaged in sex acts, according to a police affidavit.
The boy told police he called it off, reportedly saying he did not feel good about the activities taking place. Waite and the teenager had known each other since the boy's sophomore year.
Waite had been working as a volunteer swim coach for four to five years when investigators were notified of the illegal sexual activity. It was some of Waite's adult, third-party acquaintances who notified authorities.
The woman was convicted by a jury on all four charges in March.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24