Rawlins Daily Times, Jerret Raffety, Associated Press
EAST CANYON RESERVOIR — Bird enthusiasts will have an opportunity to take a trip and see male sage grouse strutting and vocalizing on a historic breeding ground.
The Division of Wildlife Resources and the Wild About Birds Nature Center will sponsor the free field trip on April 27. Participants can meet at 5 a.m. at the Wild About Birds Nature Center in Layton. From the center, there will be a caravan with other participants to an area near East Canyon Reservoir.
“Dress for cool weather and bring your binoculars,” said Phil Douglass, regional conservation outreach manager for the DWR.
The Wild About Birds Nature Center is at 1986 N. Hill Field Road. To reach the center, exit I-15 at Exit 332, and turn east on Antelope Drive. Drive east on Antelope Drive to the intersection with Hill Field Road. The store is at the southeast corner of the intersection.
Viewers will see male sage grouse fight for dominance and make elaborate displays as they try to draw the attention of the females.
“Our bird walks are a great family activity and a wonderful way to introduce children to the world of nature,” said Bill Fenimore, the expert birder who owns the center.
Fenimore and Douglass will lead the bird walk. For more information, call 801-779-BIRD or visit Wild About Birds Nature Center's Facebook page.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 111
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 50
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18