BYU track: Dalton, Weirich lead after first day of decathlon
Dalton, with a score of 3,752, sits at the top of the pack, while Weirich follows in second with a score of 3,709. Weirich’s score is the best he’s ever submitted in the first day of a decathlon. Both athletes set a number of personal records throughout the day.
"We had a phenomenal first day with the decathlon," BYU head coach Mark Robison said. "Both Josh and Chase competed very well and I think they have a strong second day ahead of them."
Weirich won the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.16 and Dalton took third in 11.28. Both athletes set personal records in the event with their respective times.
In the long jump, Dalton tied for first place with a mark of 22-11.00, while Weirich took third, jumping 22-05.25. The mark was another personal record for Weirich.
Dalton and Weirich took second and third, respectively, in the shot put with each athlete setting yet another personal record in the event. Dalton earned second place with a mark of 43-05.00, while Weirich took third, throwing 40-06.75.
Dalton took second in the high jump, clearing a height of 6-05.50. Taking third was Weirich with a jump of 6-04.25.
In the final event of the day, the 400-meter dash, Weirich grabbed third place with a time of 51.86. Dalton came in fifth, finishing in 52.87.
The second half of the decathlon will take place Friday starting at 11 a.m. PDT with the 110-meter hurdles.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 47
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42