BYU track: Dalton, Weirich lead after first day of decathlon
Dalton, with a score of 3,752, sits at the top of the pack, while Weirich follows in second with a score of 3,709. Weirich’s score is the best he’s ever submitted in the first day of a decathlon. Both athletes set a number of personal records throughout the day.
"We had a phenomenal first day with the decathlon," BYU head coach Mark Robison said. "Both Josh and Chase competed very well and I think they have a strong second day ahead of them."
Weirich won the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.16 and Dalton took third in 11.28. Both athletes set personal records in the event with their respective times.
In the long jump, Dalton tied for first place with a mark of 22-11.00, while Weirich took third, jumping 22-05.25. The mark was another personal record for Weirich.
Dalton and Weirich took second and third, respectively, in the shot put with each athlete setting yet another personal record in the event. Dalton earned second place with a mark of 43-05.00, while Weirich took third, throwing 40-06.75.
Dalton took second in the high jump, clearing a height of 6-05.50. Taking third was Weirich with a jump of 6-04.25.
In the final event of the day, the 400-meter dash, Weirich grabbed third place with a time of 51.86. Dalton came in fifth, finishing in 52.87.
The second half of the decathlon will take place Friday starting at 11 a.m. PDT with the 110-meter hurdles.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20