USU softball: Aggies head to Seattle for three-game WAC series
Utah State softball travels to the northwest for a weekend series with Western Athletic Conference foe Seattle U. Action in the series is set to get underway with a Friday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. MT.
USU enters this weekend's showdown having just won its first WAC series of the season against UTSA last weekend in Kaysville, Utah. It was also the first WAC series win for the Aggies since 2011, when it swept Nevada in Reno.
Seattle U is currently sixth in the WAC with a 3-7 record in conference games to go along with a 14-23 overall record. Utah State is sitting eighth in the rankings and is looking to make a push for the WAC Tournament in Ruston, La., on May 8.
The two programs have met once prior to this weekend's games in 2010 as both teams were taking part in the Red Desert Classic in St. George, Utah. USU defeated the Redhawks, 4-3.
The Aggies will be led by sophomore outfielder Hailey Froton, who has been the top offensive threat for Utah State in WAC games, as the sophomore holds a team-best .400 batting average in WAC games. Froton has also produced two doubles, one triple and five runs batted in through the first nine games of conference play.
Senior pitcher Mandy Harmon is also coming off her best conference performance of the season, as the senior worked a complete-game shutout on Saturday, April 6, against the Roadrunners. Harmon fanned eight batters en route to her first shutout of the season for USU.
Following Friday's doubleheader, the Aggies will conclude weekend action with a single game on Saturday, April 13. Action is set to get underway at 12 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18