USU softball: Aggies head to Seattle for three-game WAC series
Utah State softball travels to the northwest for a weekend series with Western Athletic Conference foe Seattle U. Action in the series is set to get underway with a Friday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. MT.
USU enters this weekend's showdown having just won its first WAC series of the season against UTSA last weekend in Kaysville, Utah. It was also the first WAC series win for the Aggies since 2011, when it swept Nevada in Reno.
Seattle U is currently sixth in the WAC with a 3-7 record in conference games to go along with a 14-23 overall record. Utah State is sitting eighth in the rankings and is looking to make a push for the WAC Tournament in Ruston, La., on May 8.
The two programs have met once prior to this weekend's games in 2010 as both teams were taking part in the Red Desert Classic in St. George, Utah. USU defeated the Redhawks, 4-3.
The Aggies will be led by sophomore outfielder Hailey Froton, who has been the top offensive threat for Utah State in WAC games, as the sophomore holds a team-best .400 batting average in WAC games. Froton has also produced two doubles, one triple and five runs batted in through the first nine games of conference play.
Senior pitcher Mandy Harmon is also coming off her best conference performance of the season, as the senior worked a complete-game shutout on Saturday, April 6, against the Roadrunners. Harmon fanned eight batters en route to her first shutout of the season for USU.
Following Friday's doubleheader, the Aggies will conclude weekend action with a single game on Saturday, April 13. Action is set to get underway at 12 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 11
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8