USU softball: Aggies head to Seattle for three-game WAC series
Utah State softball travels to the northwest for a weekend series with Western Athletic Conference foe Seattle U. Action in the series is set to get underway with a Friday doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. MT.
USU enters this weekend's showdown having just won its first WAC series of the season against UTSA last weekend in Kaysville, Utah. It was also the first WAC series win for the Aggies since 2011, when it swept Nevada in Reno.
Seattle U is currently sixth in the WAC with a 3-7 record in conference games to go along with a 14-23 overall record. Utah State is sitting eighth in the rankings and is looking to make a push for the WAC Tournament in Ruston, La., on May 8.
The two programs have met once prior to this weekend's games in 2010 as both teams were taking part in the Red Desert Classic in St. George, Utah. USU defeated the Redhawks, 4-3.
The Aggies will be led by sophomore outfielder Hailey Froton, who has been the top offensive threat for Utah State in WAC games, as the sophomore holds a team-best .400 batting average in WAC games. Froton has also produced two doubles, one triple and five runs batted in through the first nine games of conference play.
Senior pitcher Mandy Harmon is also coming off her best conference performance of the season, as the senior worked a complete-game shutout on Saturday, April 6, against the Roadrunners. Harmon fanned eight batters en route to her first shutout of the season for USU.
Following Friday's doubleheader, the Aggies will conclude weekend action with a single game on Saturday, April 13. Action is set to get underway at 12 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32