BYU tennis: No. 42 Patrick Kawka cruises to lead Cougar men's tennis past Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. — Junior Patrick Kawka and the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team remain undefeated in league action with a 5-2 win over Portland on Thursday at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center.
With the win, BYU (17-4, 5-0 West Coast Conference) is now tied with Pepperdine for first place in the WCC and improved its overall record to 6-0 against Portland (9-10, 2-4 WCC).
“Portland was a good team, we expected that,” BYU coach Brad Pearce said. “It’s a tough first match anytime we’re making the adjustment from altitude to sea level. But the key is getting that first win on the road, which is important to maintain the momentum for the next two matches this week.”
The Cougars struck first with a decisive 8-2 victory at the No. 3 doubles position by Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce. The Pilots followed up with a win of their own on court 1 before Andrey Goryachkov and Spencer Smith claimed the doubles point with a close 9-7 win.
“I was pleased that we got the doubles point, that was important in setting the tone for tomorrow,” coach Pearce said. “And in singles, Patrick Kawka played a great match.”
The Cougars took four of the singles matches, led by No. 42 Kawka who cruised past Ratan Gill 6-1, 6-2 for a win at the No. 1 singles position.
Sophomore Francis Sargeant earned a point for BYU by grinding out a three-set win over Alex Ferrero on court 3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Cullimore also topped his opponent 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 4 singles position.
Goryachkov finished a set on court 5 before injuring his ankle, leading to a default victory for Portland. John Pearce finished the match by defeating Kent Andreasen 6-4, 7-6(3).
The Cougars step out of conference play as they travel to Washington to play No. 72 Idaho on Friday at 5 p.m. PDT.
1. Ferrero/Gill (UP) def. #86 Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) 8-6
2. Goryachkov/Smith (BYU) def. Hu Kwo/Martin (UP) 9-7
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Andreasen/Guay (UP) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #42 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Ratan Gill (UP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Michael Hu Kwo (UP) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Francis Sargaent (BYU) def. Alex Ferrero (UP) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Justin Guay (UP) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jackson Martin (UP) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 7-6(3) (Ret.)
6. John Pearce (BYU) def. Kent Andreasen (UP) 6-4, 7-6(3)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25