Michael Brandy, Deseret Morning News/Michael Bra
Peter Anderson started out skeptical about couponing. To him, he imagined crazy couponers like those shown on "Extreme Couponing" who spend 8 to 10 hours a week in order to save money.
His opinion changed, however, when it came time to save for a house down payment, according to his article on Bible Money Matters.
Anderson considers himself a "lazy couponer" but still saved $215 total for four shopping trips that cost $735 instead of $950.
He spent about 30 minutes the night before shopping to find coupons. These are some of the ways he said even a lazy couponer can save on groceries.
Local grocery stores will send mail coupons to inform customers about sales.
Grocery store rewards
Signing up for rewards programs at the store often means the store will send coupon books with extra savings. Anderson’s grocery store includes a program that saves him $5 on $50 every two weeks for any groceries.
Buy on sale
Adjust your grocery list to buy things that are on sale and forgo some things that you can’t find coupons for until they have a better price. It doesn’t work best to only search for coupons on what you need. Stockpile food that won’t go bad when it is on sale.
Match coupons to sales
Looking for coupons on items already listed on sale doubles the savings.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- All families need to have the financial 'talk'
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- There's a video for that: How YouTube brings...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 14
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 5
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2