Orem music store employee hits bad note with police
OREM — A 19-year-old music store employee has been arrested for allegedly stealing violins, guitars and trumpets and selling them online.
Kalen Jones, of Orem, was arrested for investigation of felony theft and booked into the Utah County Jail.
Orem police detectives were contacted by Summerhays Music, 1006 S. State, on March 1 after other employees discovered 31 instruments missing during an inventory check. The instruments were valued at more than $25,000.
On April 8, a detective discovered a trumpet being sold on eBay with a serial number matching an instrument missing from Summerhays Music. The eBay seller, he learned, was a store employee.
Jones lives with her mother, Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez said. When officers arrived at her house with a search warrant, they found 12 of the stolen instruments. The others were believed to have already been sold online, Martinez said. Police believe Jones had been stealing and selling instruments for a couple of months.
According to court records, Jones pleaded guilty in October to purchase or possession of alcohol by a minor. She was given a suspended 30-day jail sentence and placed on probation. In July, she took a plea in abeyance to unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor, according to Utah State Court records, and ordered to undergo an alcohol treatment program.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Volunteers provide clothing, food, flip-flops...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13