Orem music store employee hits bad note with police
OREM — A 19-year-old music store employee has been arrested for allegedly stealing violins, guitars and trumpets and selling them online.
Kalen Jones, of Orem, was arrested for investigation of felony theft and booked into the Utah County Jail.
Orem police detectives were contacted by Summerhays Music, 1006 S. State, on March 1 after other employees discovered 31 instruments missing during an inventory check. The instruments were valued at more than $25,000.
On April 8, a detective discovered a trumpet being sold on eBay with a serial number matching an instrument missing from Summerhays Music. The eBay seller, he learned, was a store employee.
Jones lives with her mother, Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez said. When officers arrived at her house with a search warrant, they found 12 of the stolen instruments. The others were believed to have already been sold online, Martinez said. Police believe Jones had been stealing and selling instruments for a couple of months.
According to court records, Jones pleaded guilty in October to purchase or possession of alcohol by a minor. She was given a suspended 30-day jail sentence and placed on probation. In July, she took a plea in abeyance to unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor, according to Utah State Court records, and ordered to undergo an alcohol treatment program.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 52
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 8