Orem music store employee hits bad note with police
OREM — A 19-year-old music store employee has been arrested for allegedly stealing violins, guitars and trumpets and selling them online.
Kalen Jones, of Orem, was arrested for investigation of felony theft and booked into the Utah County Jail.
Orem police detectives were contacted by Summerhays Music, 1006 S. State, on March 1 after other employees discovered 31 instruments missing during an inventory check. The instruments were valued at more than $25,000.
On April 8, a detective discovered a trumpet being sold on eBay with a serial number matching an instrument missing from Summerhays Music. The eBay seller, he learned, was a store employee.
Jones lives with her mother, Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez said. When officers arrived at her house with a search warrant, they found 12 of the stolen instruments. The others were believed to have already been sold online, Martinez said. Police believe Jones had been stealing and selling instruments for a couple of months.
According to court records, Jones pleaded guilty in October to purchase or possession of alcohol by a minor. She was given a suspended 30-day jail sentence and placed on probation. In July, she took a plea in abeyance to unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor, according to Utah State Court records, and ordered to undergo an alcohol treatment program.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Residents of six apartments displaced in Salt...
- Saratoga Springs residents fed up with city's...
- Man suffers burns in costly West Valley fire...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21