Orem music store employee hits bad note with police
OREM — A 19-year-old music store employee has been arrested for allegedly stealing violins, guitars and trumpets and selling them online.
Kalen Jones, of Orem, was arrested for investigation of felony theft and booked into the Utah County Jail.
Orem police detectives were contacted by Summerhays Music, 1006 S. State, on March 1 after other employees discovered 31 instruments missing during an inventory check. The instruments were valued at more than $25,000.
On April 8, a detective discovered a trumpet being sold on eBay with a serial number matching an instrument missing from Summerhays Music. The eBay seller, he learned, was a store employee.
Jones lives with her mother, Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez said. When officers arrived at her house with a search warrant, they found 12 of the stolen instruments. The others were believed to have already been sold online, Martinez said. Police believe Jones had been stealing and selling instruments for a couple of months.
According to court records, Jones pleaded guilty in October to purchase or possession of alcohol by a minor. She was given a suspended 30-day jail sentence and placed on probation. In July, she took a plea in abeyance to unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor, according to Utah State Court records, and ordered to undergo an alcohol treatment program.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10