Westminster lacrosse: Griffins welcome BYU to Dumke Field on Saturday
SALT LAKE CITY — The No. 2-ranked Westminster College men’s lacrosse team plays at home for the final time this season when it hosts Brigham Young on Saturday. The game begins at 4 p.m. at Dumke Field with the Westminster senior class being recognized before the start.
Westminster enters the final home game of the season at 11-4 on the year and is riding a five-game winning streak. The Griffins are coming off a 15-11 comeback win over No. 4 Concordia (Calif.) last Saturday at Dumke Field. The Griffins are 5-1 at home this season and have gone 1-2 against teams from Division I of the MCLA.
As a team, Westminster is scoring 15.7 goals per game during the season and has recorded 128 assists on the 235 goals it has scored. The Griffins are taking 39.8 shots per outing and they put 26.9 of them on cage. They are winning 55.3 percent of faceoffs and have picked up 461 ground balls.
Westminster opponents are scoring only 6.1 goals per game with just 36 assists on 91 goals scored. The opposition averages 22 shots per game and 15.1 shots on goal.
Kyle Postler leads the Griffins with 56 points behind his 23 goals and team-high 33 assists. Collin Madsen is right behind with 55 points as he has 37 goals and 18 assists. Jake Arthur leads the squad with 39 goals, and he has attempted a team-best 92 shots. Adam Marfice (29), Elias Fairman (28) and Cole Christensen (24) give the team six players with at least 20 goals on the season.
Erik Gronseth has made a team-leading 76 saves in goal for the Griffins. The freshman has a .618 save percentage with a 6.36 goals against average. Chris Burckle has recorded a .543 save percentage while making 50 stops with an 8.93 GAA.
Saturday’s game marks the fourth meeting all-time between Westminster and Brigham Young. BYU holds a 3-0 lead in those previous matchups including a 20-12 decision last season in Provo. The Cougars come into this week’s game at 11-3 overall and ranked No. 5 in the MCLA DI poll.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this... 5