Man accused of threatening baby, injuring woman with knife
WEST VALLEY CITY — A 22-year-old man is charged with attempted murder after police say he held a knife to his 8-month-old baby's throat and sliced the mother's arm to the bone.
Cristian Venegas, of West Valley City, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with two counts of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and attempted murder, a second-degree felony. Venegas goes by the alias "Malo," according to court documents.
Police said the mother of Venegas' infant son took the baby to his home at 2994 Festival Drive for a visit March 31, when they began to argue about ending their relationship. The woman started to leave the house, but heard the baby behind her on the porch.
When the woman turned around, Venegas picked up the baby and held a large hunting knife to his throat, charges state. He then ordered the baby's mother into the house.
Inside the house, Venegas swung the knife at the woman, slicing her finger, according to the charges. When she raised her arm to block herself, as Venegas aimed for her throat, the woman's arm was cut down to the bone, charges state.
As the bleeding continued, Venegas wrapped the woman's arm in a shirt and took her to the hospital, threatening to kill her if she told hospital staff what had happened, according to the charges. The woman required emergency care and surgery to repair the tendons that had been cut in her arm, charges state.
Officers spotted Venegas near the woman's home on April 4 and stopped him. Venegas ran from officers, in handcuffs, toward the woman's home but was apprehended.
Venegas was also charged with tampering with a witness and commission of domestic violence in the presence of a child, both third-degree felonies, and failure to stop at an officer's command, a class A misdemeanor.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 19
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 17
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15