Ute football: Star Lotulelei declines invitation to attend NFL draft
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei has declined an invitation to attend the National Football League draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on April 25.
Lotulelei, who is projected to go early in the first round, explained the decision not to go in a statement released through his agent Bruce Tollner.
“I want to thank the NFL for inviting me to New York City for the draft. Being invited is a tremendous honor and I am very grateful for the consideration,” Lotulelei said. “After discussing it with my family, I have decided to stay in Utah for the draft so I can share this moment with all of the people that have supported me my entire life. I expect over 50 family and friends at our home for this wonderful occasion and look forward to a special day."
Although Lotulelei declined to attend the draft, 23 others accepted invitations. The NFL announced that the attendees will include BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper, Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher, Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, Alabama tackle D.J. Fluker, Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel, Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson, Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan, Alabama running back Eddie Lacy, Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel, Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner, Louisiana State defensive end Barkevious Mingo, Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, Louisiana State safety Eric Reid, Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes, Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant, Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, Alabama guard Chance Warmack, Florida State tackle Menelik Watson and Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner.
The first round of the NFL draft is April 25. The next two rounds are set for April 26, while the final four are scheduled for April 27.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25