Nearly 30 unlocked cars, garages burglarized in Weber County
HOOPER, Weber County — Residents in Hooper and West Haven are being urged to lock the doors on their garages and vehicles after many of their neighbors have been burglarized.
Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther said 29 burglaries have been reported in the past month, including nine on Wednesday. The suspected burglars seem to be targeting unlocked garages and vehicles, making no attempt to break into secured areas, he said.
Lowther said the increase in thefts is dramatic. In previous months, as many as five instances would have been considered high, he said.
"People probably get pretty comfortable in their areas, where they know their neighbors," Lowther said. "They maybe get a little of a 'it won't happen here' demeanor."
Thieves have taken anything ranging from the change in ashtrays to laptops, tablets and GPS devices left in vehicles, Lowther said. In one instance, a vehicle with the keys left in it was taken and has yet to be located. In another, a firearm left in a vehicle disappeared, he said.
Since publicizing the warning, Lowther said he has seen many people sharing the notice with friends and neighbors on social media.
"There was one person on Facebook that responded she had actually been a victim (Tuesday) night," Lowther said. "She said she usually does lock her vehicle up. She just got busy being a mom, got doing stuff and forgot about it."
Police ask anyone with information about the burglaries to call 801-778-6631.
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9