Nearly 30 unlocked cars, garages burglarized in Weber County
HOOPER, Weber County — Residents in Hooper and West Haven are being urged to lock the doors on their garages and vehicles after many of their neighbors have been burglarized.
Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther said 29 burglaries have been reported in the past month, including nine on Wednesday. The suspected burglars seem to be targeting unlocked garages and vehicles, making no attempt to break into secured areas, he said.
Lowther said the increase in thefts is dramatic. In previous months, as many as five instances would have been considered high, he said.
"People probably get pretty comfortable in their areas, where they know their neighbors," Lowther said. "They maybe get a little of a 'it won't happen here' demeanor."
Thieves have taken anything ranging from the change in ashtrays to laptops, tablets and GPS devices left in vehicles, Lowther said. In one instance, a vehicle with the keys left in it was taken and has yet to be located. In another, a firearm left in a vehicle disappeared, he said.
Since publicizing the warning, Lowther said he has seen many people sharing the notice with friends and neighbors on social media.
"There was one person on Facebook that responded she had actually been a victim (Tuesday) night," Lowther said. "She said she usually does lock her vehicle up. She just got busy being a mom, got doing stuff and forgot about it."
Police ask anyone with information about the burglaries to call 801-778-6631.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Death of South Jordan man in shootout... 8