Nearly 30 unlocked cars, garages burglarized in Weber County
HOOPER, Weber County — Residents in Hooper and West Haven are being urged to lock the doors on their garages and vehicles after many of their neighbors have been burglarized.
Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther said 29 burglaries have been reported in the past month, including nine on Wednesday. The suspected burglars seem to be targeting unlocked garages and vehicles, making no attempt to break into secured areas, he said.
Lowther said the increase in thefts is dramatic. In previous months, as many as five instances would have been considered high, he said.
"People probably get pretty comfortable in their areas, where they know their neighbors," Lowther said. "They maybe get a little of a 'it won't happen here' demeanor."
Thieves have taken anything ranging from the change in ashtrays to laptops, tablets and GPS devices left in vehicles, Lowther said. In one instance, a vehicle with the keys left in it was taken and has yet to be located. In another, a firearm left in a vehicle disappeared, he said.
Since publicizing the warning, Lowther said he has seen many people sharing the notice with friends and neighbors on social media.
"There was one person on Facebook that responded she had actually been a victim (Tuesday) night," Lowther said. "She said she usually does lock her vehicle up. She just got busy being a mom, got doing stuff and forgot about it."
Police ask anyone with information about the burglaries to call 801-778-6631.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Bill would increase incentives for early high...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 184
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 39
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 35
- LDS statement could move Utah... 27
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 26
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Business community supports tax... 21