Nearly 30 unlocked cars, garages burglarized in Weber County
HOOPER, Weber County — Residents in Hooper and West Haven are being urged to lock the doors on their garages and vehicles after many of their neighbors have been burglarized.
Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther said 29 burglaries have been reported in the past month, including nine on Wednesday. The suspected burglars seem to be targeting unlocked garages and vehicles, making no attempt to break into secured areas, he said.
Lowther said the increase in thefts is dramatic. In previous months, as many as five instances would have been considered high, he said.
"People probably get pretty comfortable in their areas, where they know their neighbors," Lowther said. "They maybe get a little of a 'it won't happen here' demeanor."
Thieves have taken anything ranging from the change in ashtrays to laptops, tablets and GPS devices left in vehicles, Lowther said. In one instance, a vehicle with the keys left in it was taken and has yet to be located. In another, a firearm left in a vehicle disappeared, he said.
Since publicizing the warning, Lowther said he has seen many people sharing the notice with friends and neighbors on social media.
"There was one person on Facebook that responded she had actually been a victim (Tuesday) night," Lowther said. "She said she usually does lock her vehicle up. She just got busy being a mom, got doing stuff and forgot about it."
Police ask anyone with information about the burglaries to call 801-778-6631.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photos: Fun for all at the 10th annual Family...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13