UVU baseball: Ramsey and Gunn sweep Great West weekly awards
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley's Stone Ramsey and Adam Gunn were honored as the Great West Conference Baseball Players of the Week after their performances last week. The award was announced Wednesday by the conference office.
Ramsey, a freshman from Tampa, Fla., recorded a .615 batting average as UVU took 3-of-4 from conference foe NJIT this past weekend. The designated hitter registered four extra-base hits and slugged 1.000. Ramsey collected four RBIs, four runs scored, three doubles, two stolen bases and a triple while producing multi-hit games in each start he made.
Gunn, a senior from Santa Clara, Utah, won Friday's series-opener in a pitcher's duel against NJIT's Tripp Davis. The right-handed hurler threw seven shutout innings while recording a season-high seven strikeouts. Gunn scattered three hits and only issued two walks.
Ramsey is the second UVU position player - Kai Hatch was the first - to receive the award so far this season while Gunn is the first Wolverine pitcher.
The Wolverines host Houston Baptist beginning Thursday in a four-game series.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 64
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51