UVU baseball: Ramsey and Gunn sweep Great West weekly awards
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley's Stone Ramsey and Adam Gunn were honored as the Great West Conference Baseball Players of the Week after their performances last week. The award was announced Wednesday by the conference office.
Ramsey, a freshman from Tampa, Fla., recorded a .615 batting average as UVU took 3-of-4 from conference foe NJIT this past weekend. The designated hitter registered four extra-base hits and slugged 1.000. Ramsey collected four RBIs, four runs scored, three doubles, two stolen bases and a triple while producing multi-hit games in each start he made.
Gunn, a senior from Santa Clara, Utah, won Friday's series-opener in a pitcher's duel against NJIT's Tripp Davis. The right-handed hurler threw seven shutout innings while recording a season-high seven strikeouts. Gunn scattered three hits and only issued two walks.
Ramsey is the second UVU position player - Kai Hatch was the first - to receive the award so far this season while Gunn is the first Wolverine pitcher.
The Wolverines host Houston Baptist beginning Thursday in a four-game series.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31