PROVO, Utah — BYU’s men’s track and field team heads to Sacramento, Calif., this weekend to compete at the Mondo Mid-Major Invitational hosted by Sacramento State.
The Cougars will compete against Sacramento State, Utah State, Fresno State and Portland State, among others, at the Hornets Stadium. The venue has hosted NCAA championships as well as Olympic trials.
“I’m very excited to compete at Sacramento State,” head coach Mark Robison said. “They’ve got a great facility and it’s always nice to compete in that kind of environment. We’re looking to improve each week and we’ll have that opportunity this weekend.”
BYU decathletes Chase Dalton and Joshua Weirich will make their season debut for the Cougars on Thursday. The decathlon starts at 12:15 p.m. PDT with the 100-meter dash. The long jump, shot put, high jump and 400-meter dash events will also take place Thursday. The multi-events competition will wrap up Friday, starting at 11 a.m. PDT with the 110-meter hurdles. The discus, pole vault, javelin and 1,500-meter events will follow.
The men’s field events will begin Friday with the discus throw. The men’s long jump and high jump events will also take place Friday afternoon. Field events will resume Saturday morning with the hammer throw, shot put and javelin. The pole vault and triple jump competitions will round out the field events by the early afternoon.
On the track, competition will start Friday at 7 p.m. PDT with the 3,000-meter steeplechase followed by the 5,000-meter run. The men’s 4x100-meter relay will kick off the track events on Saturday at 11:10 a.m. PDT. The Cougars will also compete in the 110-meter hurdles, 400-meter hurdles, 100 meters, 400 meters, 800 meters, 1,500 meters and the 4x400-meter relay.
A full recap of each day’s events will be available on the BYU men’s track home page shortly after competition has ended.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 38
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25