USU football: Aggies will hold final scrimmage prior to spring game Thursday
With just over a week left in spring drills, Utah State football will hold its final scrimmage prior to its annual spring game on Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium on Thursday, April 11, at approximately 3:20 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, USU will move into the Stan Laub Indoor Football Complex and hold a normal practice.
All USU spring football practices are open to the public.
First year head coach Matt Wells will run his team through about a 100-play scrimmage and said he wants to see continued improvement on both sides of the ball in execution and leadership.
“It should be one good last major scrimmage before the spring game that will highlight situations,” Wells said. “There are individual battles that are still being decided on both sides of the ball. Offensively, we're looking for continued rhythm and execution, showing that they can convert in certain situations. Defensively, how will they react to certain situations that they didn't do so well in the last scrimmage? They've been playing well in the red zone and they continue to do that. We also want to continue to develop the leadership on both sides.”
During the scrimmage, the No. 1 and No. 2 offenses will get the ball at its own 30- and 40-yard line with a six-play minimum scenario against the No. 1 and No. 2 defenses. USU will also run both groups through a pair of red zone periods from the 12- and 25-yard line, along with a pair of two-minute drills. The No. 3 offense and defense will also get 16-18 plays of live action during the scrimmage, while the special teams will work on punting and kickoff returns.
Utah State will practice Monday and Wednesday next week from 6:15-8:15 a.m., before concluding spring drills Saturday, April 20 at 2 p.m. with its annual Blue vs. White Spring Game. Admission to the spring game is free.
All practices are scheduled for Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium unless inclement weather pushes them to the Stan Laub Indoor Football Complex. All practice times and locations are subject to change.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45