SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will celebrate Earth Day next week with events focusing on sustainability measures and environmental topics.
The week will feature a keynote lecture by Richard Register, founder and president of EcoCity Builders and an expert on ecological city planning. Register will speak at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium of the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. His talk will focus on the opportunities for cities to contribute to humanity's creative and compassionate evolution of a healthy planet.
"Richard Register has spent decades informing new generations of city builders about the critical demands of our time, while simultaneously illuminating opportunities for creating cities that perform sustainably, where quality of life and environmental stewardship are aligned," said Stephen Goldsmith, associate professor of city and metropolitan planning. "His working knowledge of how we can create places where our resources are utilized in balanced ways allows us to visualize Earth's healthy potential rather than mourn its demise."
On Thursday, there will be a campus-wide Earth Day event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Union plaza, featuring on- and off-campus environmental organizations. There will be a bike parade, bike maintenance shop, library giveaways, street performers and a solar DJ.
For more information and a list of events, visit umc.utah.edu/earth-week-2013.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26