SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will celebrate Earth Day next week with events focusing on sustainability measures and environmental topics.
The week will feature a keynote lecture by Richard Register, founder and president of EcoCity Builders and an expert on ecological city planning. Register will speak at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium of the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. His talk will focus on the opportunities for cities to contribute to humanity's creative and compassionate evolution of a healthy planet.
"Richard Register has spent decades informing new generations of city builders about the critical demands of our time, while simultaneously illuminating opportunities for creating cities that perform sustainably, where quality of life and environmental stewardship are aligned," said Stephen Goldsmith, associate professor of city and metropolitan planning. "His working knowledge of how we can create places where our resources are utilized in balanced ways allows us to visualize Earth's healthy potential rather than mourn its demise."
On Thursday, there will be a campus-wide Earth Day event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Union plaza, featuring on- and off-campus environmental organizations. There will be a bike parade, bike maintenance shop, library giveaways, street performers and a solar DJ.
For more information and a list of events, visit umc.utah.edu/earth-week-2013.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8