UVU baseball: Wolverines host Houston Baptist in Great West series
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University returns to Brent Brown Ballpark this week for just its second home series of the season against Houston Baptist University in a four-game Great West Conference series.
Play begins Thursday at 6 p.m. MT and is a rematch of last season’s GWC Tournament Championship game. The teams play a doubleheader Friday at 4 p.m. and the Saturday finale at 1 p.m.
Both teams took three out of four on the opening weekend of league action with the Wolverines (12-18, 3-1) winning a series at NJIT and the Huskies (13-14, 3-1) doing the same against North Dakota in Houston.
UVU got three solid starts on the mound in its three wins: Adam Gunn pitched seven shutout innings in the opener, Devin Nelson allowed just one run in a complete game win, and Andrew Freter closed out the series with five shutout innings. Gunn, Nelson and Freter are the scheduled starters for the series’ first three contests.
Stone Ramsey had a breakout weekend for Utah Valley, going 8-for-13 (.615) with three doubles, a triple and four RBIs.
The Wolverines’ lone loss in the series came in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader. A late rally fell short in a 9-7 loss, ending a 31-game regular season conference winning streak and a run of 39 straight wins over GWC opponents for UVU.
Utah Valley will host Utah next Tuesday before a Great West series at North Dakota starts the following Friday.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20