UVU baseball: Wolverines host Houston Baptist in Great West series
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University returns to Brent Brown Ballpark this week for just its second home series of the season against Houston Baptist University in a four-game Great West Conference series.
Play begins Thursday at 6 p.m. MT and is a rematch of last season’s GWC Tournament Championship game. The teams play a doubleheader Friday at 4 p.m. and the Saturday finale at 1 p.m.
Both teams took three out of four on the opening weekend of league action with the Wolverines (12-18, 3-1) winning a series at NJIT and the Huskies (13-14, 3-1) doing the same against North Dakota in Houston.
UVU got three solid starts on the mound in its three wins: Adam Gunn pitched seven shutout innings in the opener, Devin Nelson allowed just one run in a complete game win, and Andrew Freter closed out the series with five shutout innings. Gunn, Nelson and Freter are the scheduled starters for the series’ first three contests.
Stone Ramsey had a breakout weekend for Utah Valley, going 8-for-13 (.615) with three doubles, a triple and four RBIs.
The Wolverines’ lone loss in the series came in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader. A late rally fell short in a 9-7 loss, ending a 31-game regular season conference winning streak and a run of 39 straight wins over GWC opponents for UVU.
Utah Valley will host Utah next Tuesday before a Great West series at North Dakota starts the following Friday.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 45
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 42