USU football: Todd Orlando brings experience at defensive coordinator
Utah State's offense has evolved into a quick-striking unit over the past few years and has ranked near the bottom of the conference in time of possession. Does that change what you try to do on defense?
“Not at all. It’s not the offense’s fault if they score in three plays. They’re very exciting and very explosive, very fun to watch. I have no problem with that. If they score nine times in five minutes, we’ll sit there and keep the clock running. You can never fault guys for explosive plays. When you have a quarterback who is as explosive as Chuckie Keeton, you can’t fault those guys. I’m looking forward to watching them perform this year.”
As a defensive coordinator, can you talk about Chuckie Keeton and how he compares to other quarterbacks you have coached against during your career?
“Chuckie is a ferocious competitor. I love every part of it. He’s not just a play-maker, he cultivates the mentality on that side of the ball. The biggest legacy that he’ll leave in this program when he graduates is not only what he’s done on the field production-wise, but the culture that he’ll leave the offense in. They want to compete on every play. When things don’t go well for him, he responds to it. Chuckie stays even-keel and he learns. I love the way he competes and goes about it. I’m sure the offensive guys look at that part of it. He’s a special talent. He’s the whole package.”
Megan Allen writes for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26