High school baseball: Ace pitcher Tanner Draper leads the way in Riverton win over Pleasant Grove
PLEASANT GROVE — Riverton sent its top pitcher to the mound for the Silverwolves' Region 4 opener against Pleasant Grove.
Tanner Draper didn't disappoint.
On a cold and blustery day, Draper tossed five great innings and led the way for Riverton in its 10-4 victory over the Vikings on Tuesday.
"Draper is their big gun. He is good. He has committed to play at Oregon State. I thought we had a good plan for this game, but we made too many errors and they scored on all of them," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Draper finished with three strikeouts and his teammates made plays behind him.
At the end of the fourth inning, Riverton held a 6-1 lead. The Vikings came out in the top of the fifth inning and stopped The Silverwolves three up, three down and felt a bit of momentum going their way. By the end of the fifth inning, Pleasant Grove had scored three runs on two hits and two walks, bringing the score to 6-4 with two full innings left to play.
The sixth inning proved to be too much for the Vikings, however, as Riverton ground out four more runs on seven hits and two errors. At the end of six, the final score had been settled at 10-4.
"This is a big win for us," said Riverton coach Jay Applegate. "In this region, you can't take a day off. We teach these kids that they have to be ready to play every game. If you look at the 5A rankings today, you'll see four teams from our region on top and the other two region teams have winning records. Draper did a great job for us today, but going forward, you have to play hard every game."
With the win, Riverton moved to 1-0 in Region 4 and 6-5 overall. PG has an 0-1 region record and is 8-2 overall. Both teams face each other twice more this week, Wednesday at Riverton and returning to play at Pleasant Grove on Friday to finish the three-game series.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24