The Cougars shaved nine strokes off their opening round score and shot a second round 313 (+25) among windy conditions at Ocotillo Golf Resort. They currently stand tied for seventh place with UTEP and Montana at 59-over-par.
Garner shot a consistent round finishing with one birdie and 13 pars, while Keith added four birdies and nine pars of her own.
"Lea and Amanda both played great today," BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. "Amanda had a great back nine, she was one-under, so that was nice. She started off a little rough and then she really showed some mental toughness there to bring it back. Lea is steady as she always is. She is tough mentally, tough physically and played great."
Garner is currently tied for 10th place on the individual leaderboard at nine-over-par, while Keith sits in 27th place at 14-over-par through 36 holes.
Junior Selu Fotu shot her best round of the tournament carding a six-over-par 78. Fotu shot one birdie and 12 pars during round two and is tied for 40th at 17-over-par.
Rounding out the Cougars lineup, sophomore Lauren Atkinson and junior Annika Kahaiaili'i shot second rounds of 83 (+11) and 85 (+13), respectively. Kahiaiali'i stands tied for 61st place at 21-over-par, while Atkinson stands tied in the 78th spot at 24-over-par.
With positions four through 10 separated by only 11 strokes in the team standings, BYU will look to gain ground during tomorrow's third and final round.
"Hopefully we will play well, believe in ourselves, hit some good shots and move up," Roberts said. "We're looking to move up a few spots."
Catch live stats of Wednesday's final round from Ocotillo Golf Resort at golfstat.com with tee times beginning at 6:30 a.m. MST.
T10 Lea Garner 77, 76, +9
T27 Amanda Keith 82, 76, +14
T40 Selu Fotu 83, 78, +17
T61 Annika Kahaiali'i 80, 85, +21
T78 Lauren Atkinson 85, 83, +24
1 Boise State, +32
2 Portland State, +43
3 Xavier, +45
4 Colorado State, +52
5 Northern Arizona, +55
6 Sacramento State, +58
T7 BYU, +59
T7 UTEP, +59
T7 Montana, +59
10 Montana State, +63
11 Utah Valley, +68
T12 Weber State, +70
T12 Eastern Washington, +70
14 New Mexico State, +71
15 Wyoming, +72
16 Northern Colorado, +74
17 Seattle, +77
18 Santa Clara, +80
19 Southern Utah, +96
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Red and blue recruits: A first look at...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap Cornhuskers'...
- AP preseason top 25 poll: Utah, BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 38
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 38
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 26
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 25
- Utah Jazz: Withey, 7-footer with two... 22