CHANDLER, Ariz. — Thanks to an even-par 72 from senior Jordyn Dougal and a 3-over 75 from sophomore Lynn-Marie Nagel on Tuesday, the Utah Valley University women's golf team moved up three spots after Day 2 of the Cowgirl Classic hosted by the University of Wyoming.
In all, the Wolverines were 22 shots better than they were on Day 1 and now sit in 11th place heading into Wednesday's final round.
Dougal, playing with Seattle's Clare Sorensen and Northern Colorado's Libby Avery, birdied the first hole and the fourth hole to move to 2-under for the day. She bogeyed the fifth and the seventh to drop back to even par before making par on her final 11 holes.
With even-par, Dougal vaulted from a 47th-place tie to a tie for 16th at the Classic, which is being contested at the par-72, 6.299-yard Ocotillo Golf Club. She is +11 for the tournament.
Nagel, who shot an 84 on the opening day, jumped from a 59th-place tie into a tie for 31st after carding a birdie and four bogeys Tuesday.
For the day, all but one UVU golfer shot a better round on the second day. Dougal was 11 shots better followed by Nagel (nine shots), Brooke Bliss (one shot) and Heather Mathison (six shots).
Bliss (81-80) is tied for 40th, Kalea Heu (85-86) is tied for 88th, and Mathison (90-84) is tied for 99th.
Behind a second straight 71 by tournament leader Hayley Young, Boise State leads the tournament by 11 shots over second-place Boise State and 13 shots over Xavier. The Wolverines (644) are just five shots out of 10th where Montana State (639) resides.
Final-round action gets underway at 6:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 40
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39