CHANDLER, Ariz. — Thanks to an even-par 72 from senior Jordyn Dougal and a 3-over 75 from sophomore Lynn-Marie Nagel on Tuesday, the Utah Valley University women's golf team moved up three spots after Day 2 of the Cowgirl Classic hosted by the University of Wyoming.
In all, the Wolverines were 22 shots better than they were on Day 1 and now sit in 11th place heading into Wednesday's final round.
Dougal, playing with Seattle's Clare Sorensen and Northern Colorado's Libby Avery, birdied the first hole and the fourth hole to move to 2-under for the day. She bogeyed the fifth and the seventh to drop back to even par before making par on her final 11 holes.
With even-par, Dougal vaulted from a 47th-place tie to a tie for 16th at the Classic, which is being contested at the par-72, 6.299-yard Ocotillo Golf Club. She is +11 for the tournament.
Nagel, who shot an 84 on the opening day, jumped from a 59th-place tie into a tie for 31st after carding a birdie and four bogeys Tuesday.
For the day, all but one UVU golfer shot a better round on the second day. Dougal was 11 shots better followed by Nagel (nine shots), Brooke Bliss (one shot) and Heather Mathison (six shots).
Bliss (81-80) is tied for 40th, Kalea Heu (85-86) is tied for 88th, and Mathison (90-84) is tied for 99th.
Behind a second straight 71 by tournament leader Hayley Young, Boise State leads the tournament by 11 shots over second-place Boise State and 13 shots over Xavier. The Wolverines (644) are just five shots out of 10th where Montana State (639) resides.
Final-round action gets underway at 6:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25