COLUMBIA, Mo. — Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper recorded the eighth top-10 finish of his career Tuesday by finishing in a tie for second at the COG Mizzou Tiger Intercollegiate hosted by the University of Missouri of the Southeastern Conference.
"For Mason to finished tied for second with this field is very good," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said.
With two holes remaining, Casper birdied No. 8 and then chipped in for eagle on No. 9, his final hole of the day, to finish at even par for the day and 4-under for the tournament. Capser, along with Missouri's Hunter Kraus and Emilio Cuartero, finished second behind Austin Peay's Dustin Korte, who finished at 5-under par.
As a team, the Wolverines were tied for seventh heading into the final day but moved up two spots to finish alone in fifth.
"Today we tied for the low round," Curran said of the team's 293. "We improved every round as a team."
The Wolverines shot a 300 and were in eighth after Round 1 on Monday. Monday's second-round 294 moved them into a tie for eighth before Tuesday's final-round 293.
Overall, the Wolverines (887) finished at +23, 12 shots back of fourth-place Cal Poly (875) and 15 shots back of third-place Washington State (872).
Missouri (852) won the tournament by 19 shots over Austin Peay. Missouri (-19) was the only team in the field to shoot under par.
The Wolverines are back in action April 22 at the University of Colorado Springs Invitational.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13