COLUMBIA, Mo. — Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper recorded the eighth top-10 finish of his career Tuesday by finishing in a tie for second at the COG Mizzou Tiger Intercollegiate hosted by the University of Missouri of the Southeastern Conference.
"For Mason to finished tied for second with this field is very good," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said.
With two holes remaining, Casper birdied No. 8 and then chipped in for eagle on No. 9, his final hole of the day, to finish at even par for the day and 4-under for the tournament. Capser, along with Missouri's Hunter Kraus and Emilio Cuartero, finished second behind Austin Peay's Dustin Korte, who finished at 5-under par.
As a team, the Wolverines were tied for seventh heading into the final day but moved up two spots to finish alone in fifth.
"Today we tied for the low round," Curran said of the team's 293. "We improved every round as a team."
The Wolverines shot a 300 and were in eighth after Round 1 on Monday. Monday's second-round 294 moved them into a tie for eighth before Tuesday's final-round 293.
Overall, the Wolverines (887) finished at +23, 12 shots back of fourth-place Cal Poly (875) and 15 shots back of third-place Washington State (872).
Missouri (852) won the tournament by 19 shots over Austin Peay. Missouri (-19) was the only team in the field to shoot under par.
The Wolverines are back in action April 22 at the University of Colorado Springs Invitational.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47