Bingham High School hires Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach
SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham High announced the hiring of Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach.
Schroeder is a 1999 graduate of Bingham and played both football and basketball there. He’s spent the last seven years as an assistant coach at Dixie State College after being named first-team All-Big Sky during his playing career at Portland State.
“I loved my time down in St. George,” Schroeder said. “It was an extremely special place, so it [was] going to take something pretty good to pull me away. It’s the opportunity to be at Bingham where I played.”
Schroeder inherits a program that is currently submerged in scrutiny following accusations of financial impropriety and verbal abuse.
“The things that happened in the past are stuff that I really don’t know much about,” Schroeder said. “What we’re going to do is start fresh and start building our own legacy, hopefully starting this year.”
He was chosen among 34 applicants for the position, and when Schroeder met recently with returning players, he assured them of forthcoming changes.
“The kids are great. I pretty much told them what happened in the past is the past,” Schroeder said. “For everyone it’s a fresh start. Whatever good things [or] bad things that happened in the past, it’s a new chapter now.”
Schroeder plans to install a hurry-up offensive strategy, complemented with defenses that can utilize size advantages.
“I think with the kids we have coming back next year, we can get up and run a little bit — get out in transition and play uptempo offensively,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty diverse kids as far as being able to do multiple things.
“Defensively, I think we’ll change it up. We’ve got some length. We could probably do some zone and a wide variety of stuff.”
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 47
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39