Bingham High School hires Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach
SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham High announced the hiring of Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach.
Schroeder is a 1999 graduate of Bingham and played both football and basketball there. He’s spent the last seven years as an assistant coach at Dixie State College after being named first-team All-Big Sky during his playing career at Portland State.
“I loved my time down in St. George,” Schroeder said. “It was an extremely special place, so it [was] going to take something pretty good to pull me away. It’s the opportunity to be at Bingham where I played.”
Schroeder inherits a program that is currently submerged in scrutiny following accusations of financial impropriety and verbal abuse.
“The things that happened in the past are stuff that I really don’t know much about,” Schroeder said. “What we’re going to do is start fresh and start building our own legacy, hopefully starting this year.”
He was chosen among 34 applicants for the position, and when Schroeder met recently with returning players, he assured them of forthcoming changes.
“The kids are great. I pretty much told them what happened in the past is the past,” Schroeder said. “For everyone it’s a fresh start. Whatever good things [or] bad things that happened in the past, it’s a new chapter now.”
Schroeder plans to install a hurry-up offensive strategy, complemented with defenses that can utilize size advantages.
“I think with the kids we have coming back next year, we can get up and run a little bit — get out in transition and play uptempo offensively,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty diverse kids as far as being able to do multiple things.
“Defensively, I think we’ll change it up. We’ve got some length. We could probably do some zone and a wide variety of stuff.”
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 28