Bingham High School hires Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach
SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham High announced the hiring of Jake Schroeder as boys basketball coach.
Schroeder is a 1999 graduate of Bingham and played both football and basketball there. He’s spent the last seven years as an assistant coach at Dixie State College after being named first-team All-Big Sky during his playing career at Portland State.
“I loved my time down in St. George,” Schroeder said. “It was an extremely special place, so it [was] going to take something pretty good to pull me away. It’s the opportunity to be at Bingham where I played.”
Schroeder inherits a program that is currently submerged in scrutiny following accusations of financial impropriety and verbal abuse.
“The things that happened in the past are stuff that I really don’t know much about,” Schroeder said. “What we’re going to do is start fresh and start building our own legacy, hopefully starting this year.”
He was chosen among 34 applicants for the position, and when Schroeder met recently with returning players, he assured them of forthcoming changes.
“The kids are great. I pretty much told them what happened in the past is the past,” Schroeder said. “For everyone it’s a fresh start. Whatever good things [or] bad things that happened in the past, it’s a new chapter now.”
Schroeder plans to install a hurry-up offensive strategy, complemented with defenses that can utilize size advantages.
“I think with the kids we have coming back next year, we can get up and run a little bit — get out in transition and play uptempo offensively,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty diverse kids as far as being able to do multiple things.
“Defensively, I think we’ll change it up. We’ve got some length. We could probably do some zone and a wide variety of stuff.”
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Young players will have the chance to make an...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 87
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29