WEST VALLEY CITY — The public is invited to an open house regarding the proposed Pioneer Crossing Park.
The open house is Thursday, April 11, 5–7 p.m. at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center 1355 W. 3100 South. Residents will have an opportunity to learn about the proposed park and provide input.
In the fall of 1848, pioneers first crossed to the west side of the Jordan River near 3300 South where the Utah Cultural Celebration Center sits today. The property subsequently became the location of the first encampment on the west side of the valley.
To mark the historical importance of the area, Salt Lake County and West Valley City have created a development master plan for property adjacent to the Jordan River and the Utah Cultural Celebration Center, and will present it for public input.
The 25-acre study site is located along the west bank of the Jordan River between 3300 South and the Rocky Mountain Power substation property to the north. The Utah Cultural Celebration Center campus bounds the property to the west. The site is not intended to become a typical manicured park but is envisioned to include natural open space, trails and picnic areas that will enhance the river corridor.
In addition, a pedestrian suspension bridge to memorialize those first pioneers is planned for the park.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10