WEST VALLEY CITY — The public is invited to an open house regarding the proposed Pioneer Crossing Park.
The open house is Thursday, April 11, 5–7 p.m. at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center 1355 W. 3100 South. Residents will have an opportunity to learn about the proposed park and provide input.
In the fall of 1848, pioneers first crossed to the west side of the Jordan River near 3300 South where the Utah Cultural Celebration Center sits today. The property subsequently became the location of the first encampment on the west side of the valley.
To mark the historical importance of the area, Salt Lake County and West Valley City have created a development master plan for property adjacent to the Jordan River and the Utah Cultural Celebration Center, and will present it for public input.
The 25-acre study site is located along the west bank of the Jordan River between 3300 South and the Rocky Mountain Power substation property to the north. The Utah Cultural Celebration Center campus bounds the property to the west. The site is not intended to become a typical manicured park but is envisioned to include natural open space, trails and picnic areas that will enhance the river corridor.
In addition, a pedestrian suspension bridge to memorialize those first pioneers is planned for the park.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 21