"I envy the citizens of Salt Lake City in being able to hear that wonderful choir every Sunday morning," Thatcher wrote, noting "everyone was perfect" and that she and her husband were "both delighted and touched" by the choice of music.
Ottley said both the choir and the audience gathered for the performance applauded Thatcher when she was introduced as a guest.
"Well, of course it's exciting for us," he said, even though Thatcher had to leave immediately after the performance.
Former Gov. Mike Leavitt, who welcomed Thatcher at the state Capitol during her visit, said he took advantage of every opportunity to talk politics with her during her packed schedule.
"She was conservative to the core," Leavitt said.
Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, met Thatcher as a law student when she spoke at BYU. Lee said he and his wife chatted with the former prime minister and her husband about both couples being the parents of twins.
Lee, whose late father, Rex E. Lee, a former BYU president and U.S. solicitor general, was honored at the same BYU convocation, said he still remembers her telling the audience "in statesmanship, you can't always go out and tell people what they want to hear."
"I think about that all the time," Lee said. "I think she was dead on."
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, described Thatcher in a statement as "a transcendent figure who made the world a better place," who "liberated Britain's economy with conservative reforms" that continue today.
Utah State Democratic Party Chairman Jim Dabakis, however, had a much different view of Thatcher. His tweet shortly after her death was announced, "Thatcher Dead. Ding Dong," attracted many negative comments.
"I don't think she's a wicked witch," Dabakis said. "She will receive many accolades. I just want people to remember she destroyed many, many families and their ability to make a living."
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 49
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18