Ogden man who billed U.S government for damages headed to prison
SALT LAKE CITY — An Ogden man who claimed diplomatic immunity during a traffic stop last year will serve three years in prison for trying to bill government agencies for trillions of dollars in damages.
Harvey Douglas Goff, 55, pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in federal court in December in connection with an effort to impede a proceeding in U.S. Tax Court. As part of the agreement, prosecutors dropped 13 other charges.
U.S. District Judge David Nuffer imposed the sentence at a hearing Monday.
Goff admitted that he repeatedly filed false forms in a national database asserting that a judge had provided him with tens of millions of dollars in cash in “suspicious” transactions. He also admitted that he sent the judge copies of the forms, which constituted obstruction of justice.
Goff also mailed documents to the state, Weber County, Ogden and the Ogden Police Department, claiming they had contracted to pay him $53 trillion in damages. He filed 77 liens on parcels of land in Weber County, including municipal property and private residences, according to the indictment.
The mailings apparently started after Ogden police stopped Goff on several traffic violations. He claimed diplomatic immunity during one of the stops and challenged the jurisdiction of the state court judge, according to the indictment.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 15
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 11