Ogden man who billed U.S government for damages headed to prison
SALT LAKE CITY — An Ogden man who claimed diplomatic immunity during a traffic stop last year will serve three years in prison for trying to bill government agencies for trillions of dollars in damages.
Harvey Douglas Goff, 55, pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in federal court in December in connection with an effort to impede a proceeding in U.S. Tax Court. As part of the agreement, prosecutors dropped 13 other charges.
U.S. District Judge David Nuffer imposed the sentence at a hearing Monday.
Goff admitted that he repeatedly filed false forms in a national database asserting that a judge had provided him with tens of millions of dollars in cash in “suspicious” transactions. He also admitted that he sent the judge copies of the forms, which constituted obstruction of justice.
Goff also mailed documents to the state, Weber County, Ogden and the Ogden Police Department, claiming they had contracted to pay him $53 trillion in damages. He filed 77 liens on parcels of land in Weber County, including municipal property and private residences, according to the indictment.
The mailings apparently started after Ogden police stopped Goff on several traffic violations. He claimed diplomatic immunity during one of the stops and challenged the jurisdiction of the state court judge, according to the indictment.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14