Bodies of father and son found in Canyonlands National Park
PANGUITCH — The bodies of a father and his adult son were found in an extremely remote part of Canyonlands National Park over the weekend. Both had been shot, according to park officials.
Monday, investigators were trying to determine if the two died as a result of a murder-suicide or a double suicide.
On Saturday afternoon, a woman from Scottsdale, Ariz., called authorities to report that her husband and father-in-law were overdue from a backpacking trip in the Maze area, said Paul Henderson, Canyonlands assistant superintendent.
After looking at the duo's itinerary, park officials made their "best guess" on the route they took and found the men's bodies a couple of hours later in Lou's Spring, Henderson said.
The Moab Sun News reported the victims were Aarron Olvera, 40, and his father, Dennis Olvera, 65.
Each suffered a single gunshot wound to the head, Henderson said. A weapon was recovered at the scene. Henderson said the area where the bodies were found is not easy to get to.
"It's incredibly remote," he said, noting that the area is 65 miles away from the nearest paved road. "It's the most remote part of the park."
People who go into the Maze area need to have good backcountry skills, as well as the ability to do self rescues if needed, Henderson said.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14