Bodies of father and son found in Canyonlands National Park
PANGUITCH — The bodies of a father and his adult son were found in an extremely remote part of Canyonlands National Park over the weekend. Both had been shot, according to park officials.
Monday, investigators were trying to determine if the two died as a result of a murder-suicide or a double suicide.
On Saturday afternoon, a woman from Scottsdale, Ariz., called authorities to report that her husband and father-in-law were overdue from a backpacking trip in the Maze area, said Paul Henderson, Canyonlands assistant superintendent.
After looking at the duo's itinerary, park officials made their "best guess" on the route they took and found the men's bodies a couple of hours later in Lou's Spring, Henderson said.
The Moab Sun News reported the victims were Aarron Olvera, 40, and his father, Dennis Olvera, 65.
Each suffered a single gunshot wound to the head, Henderson said. A weapon was recovered at the scene. Henderson said the area where the bodies were found is not easy to get to.
"It's incredibly remote," he said, noting that the area is 65 miles away from the nearest paved road. "It's the most remote part of the park."
People who go into the Maze area need to have good backcountry skills, as well as the ability to do self rescues if needed, Henderson said.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 12