Bodies of father and son found in Canyonlands National Park
PANGUITCH — The bodies of a father and his adult son were found in an extremely remote part of Canyonlands National Park over the weekend. Both had been shot, according to park officials.
Monday, investigators were trying to determine if the two died as a result of a murder-suicide or a double suicide.
On Saturday afternoon, a woman from Scottsdale, Ariz., called authorities to report that her husband and father-in-law were overdue from a backpacking trip in the Maze area, said Paul Henderson, Canyonlands assistant superintendent.
After looking at the duo's itinerary, park officials made their "best guess" on the route they took and found the men's bodies a couple of hours later in Lou's Spring, Henderson said.
The Moab Sun News reported the victims were Aarron Olvera, 40, and his father, Dennis Olvera, 65.
Each suffered a single gunshot wound to the head, Henderson said. A weapon was recovered at the scene. Henderson said the area where the bodies were found is not easy to get to.
"It's incredibly remote," he said, noting that the area is 65 miles away from the nearest paved road. "It's the most remote part of the park."
People who go into the Maze area need to have good backcountry skills, as well as the ability to do self rescues if needed, Henderson said.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 125
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9