High school track: 2 Utah athletes post nation's best times at Arcadia Invitational (with video)
Several dozen high school athletes traveled to California last weekend to participate in the prestigious Arcadia Invitational, and two in particular made huge names for themselves at the meet.
Park City’s Ben Saarel won the 3,200 meter Invitational run with a time of 8:45.74, the best time in the country for a high school runner since 2011.
Saarel edged Bernie Montoya of Cibola High School in Arizona by 1.33 seconds. Watch a replay of the race here. The Park City senior has committed to run next year for Colorado University.
Not to be outdone, Davis senior Shea Martinez won two Invitational events, winning the 800 meters and the mile.
Martinez’s victory in the 800 was a sensational finish as she outkicked Courtney Clayton of Illinois down the back stretch, cross the finishing line in 2:09.26, just .04 faster than Clayton. It’s the fastest time in the country this year. Watch a replay of the race here.
Martinez won the seven-competitor mile run with a time of 4:52.39, a field that also included Ogden’s Sarah Feeny, Bingham’s Emily Rich, Davis’ Ellie Child and Orem’s Summer Harper. Watch a replay of the race here.
Just like she did later at the meet in the 800, Martinez outkicked Megan Beauchene of Washington to the finish line down the backstretch.
Two other Utah athletes won their seeded events. Davis’ Taylor Cox won the girls mile race, while Riverton’s Clay Lambourne won the 400 meters.
Here’s a look at how all the Utah athletes fared at the Arcadia Invitational.
100 meter dash
16. Seth Fortin, Davis, 11.09
200 meter dash
14. Jacopo Spano, Woods Cross, 22.40w
21. Trevor Leavitt, Davis, 22.74w
23. Seth Fortin, Davis, 22.78w
29. Chandler Judd, Woods Cross, 23.36w
400 meter invitational run
6. Michael Bluth, Riverton, 48.65
9. Trevor Leavitt, Davis, 50.13
400 meter dash
1. Clay Lambourne, Riverton, 48.83
14. Brandon Walker, Riverton, 50.14
800 meter dash
22. Jackson Sagers, Davis, 1:56.80
28. Seth Thompson, Davis, 1:58.44
35. Bryan Pearson, Cedar, 1:59.78
39. Talem Franco, Wasatch, 2:00.18
40. Landon Greenhalg, Syracuse, 2:00.56
3,200 meter invitational run
1. Ben Saarel, Park City, 8:45.74
16. Jake Heslington, Timpanogos, 8:59.73
21. Conner Mantz, Sky View, 9:04.04
3,200 meter seeded run 1
2. Tommy Gutierrez, East, 9:07.94
18. Brady Early, Riverton, 9:28.30
3,200 meter seeded run 2
17. Andrew Aposhian, Davis, 9:19.95
22. Chuk Mitchell, Herriman, 9:25.12
25. Alex Hedquist, Davis, 9:26.52
26. Jaydn Asay, Mountain View, 9:27.43
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- About Utah: He finally landed the role of his...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 66
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 29
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16