High school track: Herriman freshman Kaysha Love reinventing herself as track star
Love got her first exposure to track in the summer before seventh grade when she participated in a country recreation track program run by Garlick. She ran a sub-13-second 100 meters back then, and Garlick knew immediately she was something special. He also knew Love was an accomplished gymnast, and never really expected to see her run at the high school level.
Some prodding by her mother convinced Love to give track a try, even if it was just the high jump. Love, however, feared running would aggravate her knees as much as gymnastics. Surprisingly it hasn’t, and Love is ecstatic with her new endeavor.
“Teammates are a big thing for me, and I love having them with me at school, track and practice, and it makes the hard practices easier to get through,” said Love, who’s a student at Fort Herriman Middle School.
Love admits the 12.01 she ran two weeks ago felt great, but she said improving on that time and breaking the state record isn’t what drives her.
“My drive is the adrenaline, and the time is just a bonus,” said Love, who also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
This weekend, Love should be heading to Arizona to participate in a regional gymnastics meet with hopes of qualifying for nationals. Injuries, however, have put her so far behind her peers this season, she’s decided to skip regionals and instead run with her Herriman track teammates at the Grizzly Invitational in Logan.
With another week of practice working on technique and explosive starts out of the blocks, all eyes will be on Love again this weekend as she races to the 100-meter finish line.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 69
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29