High school track: Herriman freshman Kaysha Love reinventing herself as track star
Love got her first exposure to track in the summer before seventh grade when she participated in a country recreation track program run by Garlick. She ran a sub-13-second 100 meters back then, and Garlick knew immediately she was something special. He also knew Love was an accomplished gymnast, and never really expected to see her run at the high school level.
Some prodding by her mother convinced Love to give track a try, even if it was just the high jump. Love, however, feared running would aggravate her knees as much as gymnastics. Surprisingly it hasn’t, and Love is ecstatic with her new endeavor.
“Teammates are a big thing for me, and I love having them with me at school, track and practice, and it makes the hard practices easier to get through,” said Love, who’s a student at Fort Herriman Middle School.
Love admits the 12.01 she ran two weeks ago felt great, but she said improving on that time and breaking the state record isn’t what drives her.
“My drive is the adrenaline, and the time is just a bonus,” said Love, who also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
This weekend, Love should be heading to Arizona to participate in a regional gymnastics meet with hopes of qualifying for nationals. Injuries, however, have put her so far behind her peers this season, she’s decided to skip regionals and instead run with her Herriman track teammates at the Grizzly Invitational in Logan.
With another week of practice working on technique and explosive starts out of the blocks, all eyes will be on Love again this weekend as she races to the 100-meter finish line.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22