High school track: Herriman freshman Kaysha Love reinventing herself as track star
Love got her first exposure to track in the summer before seventh grade when she participated in a country recreation track program run by Garlick. She ran a sub-13-second 100 meters back then, and Garlick knew immediately she was something special. He also knew Love was an accomplished gymnast, and never really expected to see her run at the high school level.
Some prodding by her mother convinced Love to give track a try, even if it was just the high jump. Love, however, feared running would aggravate her knees as much as gymnastics. Surprisingly it hasn’t, and Love is ecstatic with her new endeavor.
“Teammates are a big thing for me, and I love having them with me at school, track and practice, and it makes the hard practices easier to get through,” said Love, who’s a student at Fort Herriman Middle School.
Love admits the 12.01 she ran two weeks ago felt great, but she said improving on that time and breaking the state record isn’t what drives her.
“My drive is the adrenaline, and the time is just a bonus,” said Love, who also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
This weekend, Love should be heading to Arizona to participate in a regional gymnastics meet with hopes of qualifying for nationals. Injuries, however, have put her so far behind her peers this season, she’s decided to skip regionals and instead run with her Herriman track teammates at the Grizzly Invitational in Logan.
With another week of practice working on technique and explosive starts out of the blocks, all eyes will be on Love again this weekend as she races to the 100-meter finish line.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16