Teens being charged as adults in man's death in Grand County
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
MOAB — Two 16-year-old boys have been charged with homicide in adult court in connection with the death of a man whose body was found in the Colorado River.
Brody Blu Kruckenburg and Charles Anthony Nelson were charged Monday in Moab's 7th District Court with murder, a first-degree felony, and obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.
The two were charged in connection with the death of Gregorio Salazar Campos, 33, whose body was found Saturday in the Colorado River near the intersection of U.S. 191 and state Route 128. Campos was reported missing March 29 when his sister told police he did not show up for work.
Grand County Sheriff Steven White said a connection between Campos and the teens is still being investigated. It appears Campos was killed about March 25 in a Grand County residence and his body later disposed of in the river.
Investigators say Campos' body had "gunshot wounds." His body was taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.
Prior to the killing, Kruckenburg and Nelson had never been on law enforcement's radar, White said.
"We know them as local kids from the area, but nothing real major," he said. "Anytime you see juveniles in something like this it's a total surprise."
White asked anyone with information about the case to contact the Grand County Sheriff's Office.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12