OREM — The Utah Educational Library Media Association last month awarded Keely Giles the Library Paraprofessional of the Year for the state of Utah.
Giles has been the media specialist at Vineyard Elementary School for the past 13 years, and she incorporates a new theme for the library each year. This year's theme is “The Sweet Reads Book Shop.” Candy and sweets litter the library, and every piece ties to books.
Giles has been involved with the School Community Council and served as the PTA Box Top coordinator and school building representative. She also started a summer library program at the school.
Three years ago, Giles started “Battle of the Books” at Vineyard Elementary. This year, 72 teams of third- through sixth-graders competed and read more than 1,700 books. The program has gone districtwide, with 23 elementary schools competing.
Giles was the Vineyard Elementary employee of the year in 2006 and 2010. She also won the PTA Golden Apple in 2008.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7