OREM — The Utah Educational Library Media Association last month awarded Keely Giles the Library Paraprofessional of the Year for the state of Utah.
Giles has been the media specialist at Vineyard Elementary School for the past 13 years, and she incorporates a new theme for the library each year. This year's theme is “The Sweet Reads Book Shop.” Candy and sweets litter the library, and every piece ties to books.
Giles has been involved with the School Community Council and served as the PTA Box Top coordinator and school building representative. She also started a summer library program at the school.
Three years ago, Giles started “Battle of the Books” at Vineyard Elementary. This year, 72 teams of third- through sixth-graders competed and read more than 1,700 books. The program has gone districtwide, with 23 elementary schools competing.
Giles was the Vineyard Elementary employee of the year in 2006 and 2010. She also won the PTA Golden Apple in 2008.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12