OREM — The Utah Educational Library Media Association last month awarded Keely Giles the Library Paraprofessional of the Year for the state of Utah.
Giles has been the media specialist at Vineyard Elementary School for the past 13 years, and she incorporates a new theme for the library each year. This year's theme is “The Sweet Reads Book Shop.” Candy and sweets litter the library, and every piece ties to books.
Giles has been involved with the School Community Council and served as the PTA Box Top coordinator and school building representative. She also started a summer library program at the school.
Three years ago, Giles started “Battle of the Books” at Vineyard Elementary. This year, 72 teams of third- through sixth-graders competed and read more than 1,700 books. The program has gone districtwide, with 23 elementary schools competing.
Giles was the Vineyard Elementary employee of the year in 2006 and 2010. She also won the PTA Golden Apple in 2008.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- U.S. approaching 'sudden' phase of...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 123
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 41
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 29
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20