NEWARK, N.J. — Utah Valley University used an eight-run second inning to top NJIT, 9-2, on Sunday at Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium. The win gives the Wolverines their third victory in four games against the Highlanders to win the Great West Conference-opening series.
Andrew Freter (2-2) tossed five shutout innings to get the win for UVU. He allowed four hits and struck out a pair.
Greyson Bogden led off the game with a double and later scored to give UVU a 1-0 lead after an inning.
In the second, the Wolverines sent 11 hitters to the plate and had six hits, also taking advantage of three costly NJIT errors. Riley White doubled twice in the inning, first leading off the frame with a double to right and then driving in two runs to give UVU an 8-0 lead.
Willie Pratt, Beau Kallas, Stone Ramsey and Spencer Gothberg all added RBIs in the inning. Kallas singled with two outs to plate Pratt, followed by an RBI single from Ramsey that scored Kallas. White then delivered a two-run double before Gothberg capped the inning with a single to right that brought White home.
Of the eight runs that scored in the second, seven came in unearned. NJIT would add single runs in the sixth and seventh with Stephan Halibej and Tom Bouck picking up runs batted in.
Kallas, Ramsey, White and Gothberg each had two hits for Utah Valley as both teams tallied nine hits on the afternoon.
Kyle Burdi (0-1) took the loss for NJIT.
The Wolverines host Houston Baptist in Great West action next week at Brent Brown Ballpark. The four-game set, a rematch of last season’s tournament championship game, begins Thursday at 6 p.m.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7