NEWARK, N.J. — Utah Valley University used an eight-run second inning to top NJIT, 9-2, on Sunday at Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium. The win gives the Wolverines their third victory in four games against the Highlanders to win the Great West Conference-opening series.
Andrew Freter (2-2) tossed five shutout innings to get the win for UVU. He allowed four hits and struck out a pair.
Greyson Bogden led off the game with a double and later scored to give UVU a 1-0 lead after an inning.
In the second, the Wolverines sent 11 hitters to the plate and had six hits, also taking advantage of three costly NJIT errors. Riley White doubled twice in the inning, first leading off the frame with a double to right and then driving in two runs to give UVU an 8-0 lead.
Willie Pratt, Beau Kallas, Stone Ramsey and Spencer Gothberg all added RBIs in the inning. Kallas singled with two outs to plate Pratt, followed by an RBI single from Ramsey that scored Kallas. White then delivered a two-run double before Gothberg capped the inning with a single to right that brought White home.
Of the eight runs that scored in the second, seven came in unearned. NJIT would add single runs in the sixth and seventh with Stephan Halibej and Tom Bouck picking up runs batted in.
Kallas, Ramsey, White and Gothberg each had two hits for Utah Valley as both teams tallied nine hits on the afternoon.
Kyle Burdi (0-1) took the loss for NJIT.
The Wolverines host Houston Baptist in Great West action next week at Brent Brown Ballpark. The four-game set, a rematch of last season’s tournament championship game, begins Thursday at 6 p.m.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has torn...
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast Washington...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- Bubble watch: BYU playing the waiting game
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 56
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 35
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32