USU gymnastics: Aggies end season with solid regionals performance
Utah State gymnastics' three gymnasts had solid outings Saturday night at the NCAA regional championships hosted by Ohio State at St. John Arena.
Junior Paige Jones and sophomore Sarah Landes competed in the all around while freshman Stefanie Daley competed on the balance beam. Landes finished in seventh place in the all around with a score of 39.125 and Jones placed 11th with a 38.950, while Daley tied for 37th on beam with a 9.550.
"I'm proud of the girls. They competed really well," head coach Jeff Richards said. "It's a great end to the season for them and a great start for the team next year."
In the all around, Landes tied for 18th on vault (9.800), tied for sixth on bars (9.800), tied for 28th on beam (9.700) and tied for 27th on floor (9.775). Jones tied for 37th on vault (9.700), tied for 18th on bars (9.750), tied for 32nd on beam (9.700) and tied for 24th on floor (9.800).
No. 7 LSU won the regional competition with an overall score of 197.275, securing a spot at the NCAA National Championships in Los Angeles. No. 6 UCLA will join them at its home gym for the finals after finishing second with a score of 196.950. Those teams will be joined by all around individuals Aubree Cristello from Arizona and Melanie Shaffer from Ohio State who were the top finishers not on a qualifying team.
The three Aggies spent the evening rotating with full teams that were in the competition. Landes was with UCLA, Jones with LSU and Daley with North Carolina State.
While Jones sat out on a bye for the first rotation, Landes got the night started on vault where she notched a 9.800. Daley's only performance of the night was in the first rotation where she registered a 9.550. Jones was the only Aggie in action on the second rotation, giving a bars performance worthy of a 9.750.
Both Aggie all around competitors were back in action for the third rotation with Jones notching a 9.700 on beam and Landes registering a 9.800 on bars after a beautiful dismount. For the fourth rotation, Jones was back on a bye while Landes hit a 9.750 on beam.
While Landes sat out on a bye for rotation five, Jones was on floor, notching a 9.800. Both were back in competition for the final rotation with Jones on vault and Landes on floor. Jones secured a 9.700 on vault, for her all around score of 38.950. Landes landed a 9.775 on floor to earn a final score of 39.125.
Saturday was Jones' third NCAA regional appearance while it was Landes' second. As a freshman, it was Daley's first post-season competition. All three Aggie competitors will return next season.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 144
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16