The duo helped BYU improve its record to 17-14 overall and 5-4 in the West Coast Conference, while Santa Clara fell to 8-21 and 0-9 in conference.
“Things didn’t go well for us early in the game, but we kept with it,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “To sweep a team like this, I couldn’t ask for more from our guys.”
Lopez, BYU’s designated hitter, tied the game at 2-2 with a solo homer to lead off the seventh inning after Speigner retired four straight Broncos. The duo continued their onslaught against the Broncos in the remaining innings.
Lopez, who was 2-for-3 with three runs and a pair of RBIs, increased BYU’s lead, 4-2, with a run-scoring double in the eighth.
“Bret is really swinging the ball well,” Littlewood said of Lopez, who has a current four-game hitting streak. “It ended up paying off. He is a professional-type hitter who is going up to bat with a plan.”
Speigner continued with his unorthodox delivery, holding the Broncos hitless in his 4.1 innings of relief to earn his third win of the season. Speigner had replaced freshman starter Keaton Cenatiempo in the fifth inning with runners on second and third.
Cougar freshman center fielder Jacob Hannemann committed an error which allowed Santa Clara to take a 2-1 lead with two outs, but he atoned with an inning-ending catch off a Casey Munoz blast.
“It was the best catch I’ve ever seen in my life,” Littlewood said. “Hannemann dove straight behind him and gained ground on the play.”
While Whitney didn’t deliver in the first inning when BYU stranded runners on second and third, he singled in Law with the go-ahead run in the eighth. Law began that inning with a lead-off double and Whitney scored on Lopez’ double.
The Cougars take a break from league play, hosting Washington State on Monday at 10 a.m. and Utah on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 46
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 30
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29