Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward, Jazz hope to be villains on the road
"Until you win on the road, you can't get confidence of winning on the road. No matter how close the game is, if you lose the game, it's another loss," Corbin said. "So you win the game and you have a chance. You have a feel now for what it feels like to win on the road and what it takes to win on the road. And so we're looking to build on that momentum."
The key to winning on the road, Corbin explained, is to have a "the sense of urgency for longer stretches of time." The Jazz don't just need a stop here or there. They need multiple stops in a row. And they certainly can't afford to allow the dangerous Warriors to extend their scoring spurts.
"You have to sustain that and be able to create offense from your defense and not try and get offense first and just trade baskets with teams," Corbin said. "Especially on the road, you've gotta get stops."
And especially at this point of the season when one loss weighs so heavily on postseason hopes or one win counts for so much.
"It's wearing on everybody this time of year. But I think, if you're a competitor, you should be excited at this time of year," Corbin said. "You have a chance to make the playoffs. You have a chance to finish strong. And every game is really important and this is where you show what you're made of."
Corbin admitted some players "can't respond to it." But he's been impressed with his team's ability to respond to adversity this season.
In that sense, this game will be one of several more the Jazz will face regardless of what the Lakers do. Utah still has a home game Tuesday against Oklahoma City and a road season finale at Memphis on April 17.
"I think this group has shown a lot of poise and character being able to function in a pressure situation every night we step out there on the floor," Corbin said. "And you can only grow from that and from the situation we're in now. And you want to make sure we seize the moment.
"You can't give up on the play or give up on the game because you think you're not gonna get it. It could be life or death for you now. So you want to show what you're made of here and I think this group has shown a lot of poise in that area."
Now they just have to go live up to the role of the bad guys — in the villain sense — against the Warriors and their crowd.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20