Tom Smart, Deseret News
Colorado midfielder Atiba Harris scored the lone goal for the Rapids in the 5th minute, which proved to be enough to beat Real Salt Lake 1-0.
Only five minutes following the opening whistle, Rapid's Edson Buddle worked against RSL defender Nat Borchers to keep the ball in front of the net before finding Harris for the open shot.
Just three minutes later Kyle Beckerman drew a foul in the penalty box, giving Alvaro Saborio a chance to even the score. The Rapids' keeper Clint Irwin managed to get a hand on Saborio's shot to the right corner, and push it off the post.
Real Salt Lake's attack picked up intensity in the second half, including several more opportunities for Saborio in front of the net. The veteran RSL forward had three headers in the second half that went just wide of the goal, including one in the final minute of stoppage time.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 23