OREM, Utah — A seventh-inning comeback attempt by BYU softball fell short, as the Cougars dropped a 3-2 matchup with Utah Valley on Saturday, the third game of a four-game weekend series.
BYU recorded a run quickly in the first after JC Clayton was walked on the first at-bat. Two Cougars grounded out, advancing Clayton to second, before Manuma doubled to left field and brought home Clayton. BYU held UVU in the bottom of the first inning, allowing only one hit. UVU retired with a player on base.
The Cougars held UVU without a run until the bottom of the fifth frame. With runners on first and third, a Wolverine single down the left field line pushed Kylee Brinkerhoff to home, tying the run count at 1-1.
UVU scored again in the sixth with a homer, but BYU prevented any more runs in the inning.
Bravo tied up the game in the seventh inning, batting in Bailie Hicken, who pinch ran for Coco Taualii, to bring the run count to 2-all. But at the bottom of the inning, a UVU single brought in a Wolverine runner to give them the 3-2 win.
BYU and UVU play the final game of the series Saturday at 3 p.m. MDT.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34