OREM, Utah — A seventh-inning comeback attempt by BYU softball fell short, as the Cougars dropped a 3-2 matchup with Utah Valley on Saturday, the third game of a four-game weekend series.
BYU recorded a run quickly in the first after JC Clayton was walked on the first at-bat. Two Cougars grounded out, advancing Clayton to second, before Manuma doubled to left field and brought home Clayton. BYU held UVU in the bottom of the first inning, allowing only one hit. UVU retired with a player on base.
The Cougars held UVU without a run until the bottom of the fifth frame. With runners on first and third, a Wolverine single down the left field line pushed Kylee Brinkerhoff to home, tying the run count at 1-1.
UVU scored again in the sixth with a homer, but BYU prevented any more runs in the inning.
Bravo tied up the game in the seventh inning, batting in Bailie Hicken, who pinch ran for Coco Taualii, to bring the run count to 2-all. But at the bottom of the inning, a UVU single brought in a Wolverine runner to give them the 3-2 win.
BYU and UVU play the final game of the series Saturday at 3 p.m. MDT.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22