OREM, Utah — A seventh-inning comeback attempt by BYU softball fell short, as the Cougars dropped a 3-2 matchup with Utah Valley on Saturday, the third game of a four-game weekend series.
BYU recorded a run quickly in the first after JC Clayton was walked on the first at-bat. Two Cougars grounded out, advancing Clayton to second, before Manuma doubled to left field and brought home Clayton. BYU held UVU in the bottom of the first inning, allowing only one hit. UVU retired with a player on base.
The Cougars held UVU without a run until the bottom of the fifth frame. With runners on first and third, a Wolverine single down the left field line pushed Kylee Brinkerhoff to home, tying the run count at 1-1.
UVU scored again in the sixth with a homer, but BYU prevented any more runs in the inning.
Bravo tied up the game in the seventh inning, batting in Bailie Hicken, who pinch ran for Coco Taualii, to bring the run count to 2-all. But at the bottom of the inning, a UVU single brought in a Wolverine runner to give them the 3-2 win.
BYU and UVU play the final game of the series Saturday at 3 p.m. MDT.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20